spillers feed

horsegirl

Visit site
Hi,

I emailed their Feedline for help fattening up my TB they have said I need to feed him 3.5 KILOS of conditioning cubes per day. Does anyone else feed this qty? He only does an hour of work per day (6 days a week)

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Feed boiled barley, that'll wack on some weight
laugh.gif
(and save you a small fortune
wink.gif
)

so03

Visit site
That is the correct weight of feed to give your horse.

If I remember he is about 16.1hh?

Means you should feed approx (sorry I work in lbs) 28lbs a day. Equates to 12 kilos (according to my converter).

Split 25% hard feed 75% hay therefore you should feed approx 8lbs which is 3.5 kilos per day.

You should be ok to split into 2 feeds, just.

horsegirl

Visit site
yes he is 16.1

He also has 3 rounded scoops (approx 1.5kg) of alfa a oil per day and 10 hours of very poor grazing but Spillers did not refer to the alfa a stuff, because it is not a spillers product I guess. 3.5kg means he will go through a bag in under 6 days - why don't they sell it in bigger bags, how much will I have to feed him when he is doing more work or in the winter? It seems to be a huge amount of feed already, with the carrots, apples, etc I can barely lift the bucket as it is LOL.

so03

Visit site
From memory each feed should weigh no more than 4lbs. A horses' stomach cannot take much more and digest it properly.

I should really get a book to look at my memory is taking a battering. I learnt all this when doing BHS exams 10 years ago.

If you want to feed Alfa A oil that is ok split it 2lb Alfa A 2lb conditioning cubes. Morning and Night.

You can always add extra oil as that it fattening. Add sugarbeet as this is a good slow release feed.

Best thing is to get your horse on a diet, feed from a small container so the feed cannot be varied too much, weigh all your feed. Weight tape your horse and monitor each week. You can then adjust the feed intake easily.

If you feed from a normal round scoop your feed could vary in weight each feed you make. A rounded scoop will obviously contain more than a level one.

I need to be very careful with my old girl due to colic problems so I use a normal coffee mug to measure my feed. It doesn't take that long to make the feeds and is very accurate.

Good luck.

Happytohack

Visit site
I feed Spillers conditioning cubes to our heavy horse. They are they only thing that doesn't heat him up, but keeps his weight on. Since I have been feeding him these cubes, he looks fantastic and has a lovely shiney coat. I also feed their high fibre cubes to my pony who has cushings and is therefore prone to laminitis.