Spillers! Have you no proofreaders?!

windand rain

Visit site
A lot of it is laziness due to shortening words. However I agree brought instead of bought is a very odd one to me. The could have, should have has probably become an acceptable evolution of language into could of (could've) because of common usage. The dictionary is changing all the time so it will soon be acceptable after all if Chav has become a word anything is possible

Ridingondreams

Visit site
Haha whoops, yes predicative text was to blame for that! Although pedants wearing pendants would be quite an ironic sight! I drive my friends crazy because I'm constantly correcting them; it's become subconscious really, my fingers itch to type a correction when I see a Facebook status with spelling mistakes, especially "defiantly" instead of "definitely" - it's not that hard, is it? :p

Venevidivici

Visit site
I'm terrible in restaurants and pubs...the pedant in me comes out all guns blazing when there's errors on menus and blackboards,especially in the big chain companies, who have marketing departments.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The one that annoys me most recently, apart from the many already mentioned, is the missing off of the d/ed when a word should be in the past tense, particularly when used as an adjective e.g. 'I am bias' rather than 'I am biased', I have seen many similar examples on HHO lately. Why? Is it just that people don't speak correctly and so don't know how to write correctly?

Fides

Visit site
Pearlsasinger - I hate it when people miss the LY off the end of the word. I.e. It was all over so quick

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Ok if you want typos, spellings and wrong meanings read these, I put these on here every so often, if you've seen them before apologies and yes, I have loads more!
Churches normally have a newsletter or bulletin which is distributed to the faithful to keep them up to date with the news of the parish. Sometimes, however, the original meanings of the announcements may be somewhat lost....
• Please remember in prayer the many who are sick of our church and community.
• This being Easter Sunday, we will ask Mrs Jones to come forward and lay an egg on the altar.
• The beautiful flowers on the altar this morning are to celebrate the birth of David Alan Belzer, the sin of Rev and Mrs. Julius Belzer.
• If any of the congregation have children and don’t know it, there is a nursery downstairs.
• Everyone is welcome this Tuesday at 4 PM for an ice cream social. All ladies giving milk will please come early.
• At the Ladies Liturgy Society this Thursday, Mrs Smith will sing "Put Me In My Little Bed" accompanied by the pastor.
• This Friday at 5 PM there will be a meeting of the Little Mothers Club. All wishing to become Little Mothers, please see the minister in his private study.
• This week we invite any member of the congregation who enjoys sinning to join the choir.
• The ladies of the church have cast off clothing of every kind and they may be seen in the church basement Friday.
• This Monday we will be holding a ''Bean Supper'' in the church hall. Music will follow.
• This evening there will be a meeting in the south and north ends of the church. Children will be baptized at both ends.
• The 2003 Church Retreat will be hell May 10 and 11.
• ''Weight Watchers'' will meet at 7 PM in the church hall. Please use large double door at the side entrance.
• There will be a special collection today to pay for eight new choir robes. These are needed due to the addition of several new members and to the deterioration of some older ones.
• Mrs Williams will be going in to hospital this week for testes.
• Next Sunday, a special collection will be taken to defray the cost of the new carpet. All those wishing to do something on the new carpet will come forward and get a piece of paper.
• This week our Pastor is on vacation. Massages can be given to church secretary.
• Please join us as we show our support for Amy and Alan, who are preparing for the girth of their first child.
• The Scouts are saving aluminium cans, bottles, and other items to be recycled. Proceeds will be used to cripple children.
• Today - Christian Youth Fellowship House Sexuality Course, 1 p.m.-8 p.m. Please park in the rear parking lot for this activity.
• Miss Charlene Mason sang, "I Will Not Pass This Way Again," giving obvious pleasure to the congregation.
• The Pastor would appreciate it if the ladies of the congregation would lend him their electric girdles for the pancake breakfast next Sunday morning.
• Low Self-Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 to 8:30 pm. Please use the back door.
• The Rev. Merriwether spoke briefly, much to the delight of the audience.
• During the absence of our pastor, we enjoyed the rare privilege of hearing a good sermon when J.F. Stubbs supplied our pulpit.
• Next Sunday Mrs. Vinson will be soloist for the morning service. The pastor will then speak on "It's a Terrible Experience."
• Due to the Rector's illness, Wednesday's healing services will be discontinued until further notice.
• Stewardship Offertory: "Jesus Paid It All"
• The music for today's service was all composed by George Friedrich Handel in celebration of the 300th anniversary of his birth.
• Ladies, don't forget the rummage sale. It is a good chance to get rid of those things not worth keeping around the house. Bring your husbands.
• Next Sunday is the family hayride and bonfire at the Fowlers. Bring your own hot dogs and guns. Friends are welcome! Everyone come for a fun time.
• The peace-making meeting scheduled for today has been canceled due to a conflict.
• The sermon this morning: Jesus Walks on the Water. The sermon tonight: Searching for Jesus.
• Next Thursday, there will be tryouts for the choir. They need all the help they can get.
• The agenda was adopted...the minutes were approved...the financial secretary gave a grief report.
• Barbara C. remains in the hospital and needs blood donors for more transfusions. She is also having trouble sleeping and requests tapes of Pastor Jack's sermons.
• The 'Over 60s Choir' will be disbanded for the summer with the thanks of the entire church.
• Missionary from Africa speaking at Calvary Memorial Church in Racine: Name: Bertha Belch. Announcement: "Come tonight and hear Bertha Belch all the Way from Africa."
• Announcement in a church bulletin for a National Prayer & Fasting Conference: "The cost for attending the Fasting & Prayer conference includes meals."
• The Rector will preach his farewell message after which the choir will sing "Break Forth into Joy."
• Don't let worry kill you off - let the Church help.
• Irving Benson and Jessie Carter were married on October 24 in the church. So ends a friendship that began in their school days.
• At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be "What is Hell?" Come early and listen to our choir practice.
• Please place your donation in the envelope along with the deceased person(s) you want remembered.
• Attend and you will hear an excellent speaker and heave a healthy lunch.
• The church will host an evening of fine dining, superb entertainment, and gracious hostility.
• Potluck supper Sunday at 5:00 pm. - prayer and medication to follow.
• The eighth graders will be presenting Shakespeare's "Hamlet" in the church basement on Friday at 7 pm. The congregation is invited to attend this tragedy.
• A new loudspeaker system has been installed in the church. It was given by one of our members in honor of his wife.
• In the church bulletin during the minister's illness: GOD IS GOOD! Dr. Hargreaves is better.
• A worm welcome to all who have come today.
• Don't miss this Saturday's exhibit by Christian Martian Arts.
• We have received word of sudden passing of Rev. Smith this morning during the worship service. Now let's sing "Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow."
• Glory of God to all and peas to his people on earth.
• Next Friday we will be serving hot gods for lunch.
• If you would like to make a donation, fill out a form, enclose a check and drip in the collection basket.
• Applications are now being accepted for 2 year-old nursery workers.
• If you choose to heave during the Postlude, please do so quietly.
• We are grateful for the help of those who cleaned up the grounds around the church building and the rector.
• Sign-up sheet for anyone wishing to be water baptized on the table in the foyer.
• Helpers are needed! Please sign up on the information sheep.
• Thank you dead friends.
• Diana and Don request your presents at their wedding.
• Lent is that period for preparing for Holy Weed and Easter.
• Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget all His benefits.
• Hymn: I am Thin, O Lord.
• I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, even though he diets, yet shall be live.
• Hymn: I Need Three Every Hour
• Hymn of Response: Crown Him With Many Cows
• Child care provided with reservations.
• When parking on the north side of the church, please remember to park on an angel.
• Jean will be leading a weight-management series Wednesday nights. She's used the program herself and has been growing like crazy!
• The concert held in Fellowship Hall was a great success. Special thanks are due to the minister's daughter, who labored the whole evening at the piano, which as usual fell upon her.
• 22 members were present at the church meeting held at the home of Mrs. Marsha Crutchfield last evening. Mrs. Crutchfield and Mrs. Rankin sang a duet, The Lord Knows Why.
• A song fest was hell at the Methodist church Wednesday.
• Today's Sermon: HOW MUCH CAN A MAN DRINK? with hymns from a full choir.
• Hymn 43: "Great God, what do I see here?" Preacher: The Rev. Horace Blodgett. Hymn 47: "Hark! an awful voice is sounding"
• Our next song is "Angels We Have Heard Get High"
• The service will close with Little Drops of Water. One of the ladies will start quietly and the rest of the congregation will join in.
• The church is glad to have with us today as our guest minister the Rev. Shirley Green, who has Mrs. Green with him. After the service we request that all remain in the sanctuary for the Hanging of the Greens.
Oz :)

TigerTail

Visit site
My friend has a tack shop and a recent advert on Facebook was announcing the arrival of new hunter bridals…..
(made a hole in my tongue not pointing it out to her!)

Also, she says 'pacifically' instead of 'specifically' where on earth does that one come from?!

Summer pudding

Visit site
And the successful contestants at the Winter Olympics are medalling....no they are NOT, they are winning medals..I suppose it's better than meddling..but perhaps they are doing that as well. More please!

Maiko

Visit site
The one that drives me to violent tendencies is the old old enemy of the equestrian pedant.....

It's ConFORmation, not conFIRmation!!!!!!

I also loathe the use of pacifically when they mean specifically, and have noticed so many people using this when I am interviewing them for jobs. Along the same lines, when reading application forms, I am constantly astounded at the number of people who use text speak on their form. These are people who are applying for a very serious job, and yet seem totally incapable of using proper words!

Do schools still teach spelling and grammar?

Venevidivici

Visit site
Great start to Friday morning,catching up on these and making me chuckle.😂
Creme de Monthe,I started to pick out favourites but there were too many! Fantastic😄

horserugsnot4u

Visit site
And the successful contestants at the Winter Olympics are medalling....no they are NOT, they are winning medals..I suppose it's better than meddling..but perhaps they are doing that as well. More please!

My husband would love you for saying this! He almost choked on his Weetabix a couple of mornings ago, when a sports reporter on Radio 4 said someone was going to 'medal' TWICE in the same report. :)

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Great start to Friday morning,catching up on these and making me chuckle.��
Creme de Monthe,I started to pick out favourites but there were too many! Fantastic��

Glad you liked them, here's another lot for you:

Actual writings on hospital charts

1. The patient refused autopsy.

2. The patient has no previous history of suicides.

3. Patient has left white blood cells at another hospital.

4. Patient's medical history has been remarkably insignificant with only

a 40 pound weight gain in the past three days.

5. She has no rigors or shaking chills, but her husband states she was

very hot in bed last night.

6. Patient has chest pain if she lies on her left side for over a year.

7. On the second day the knee was better and on the third day it

disappeared.

8. The patient is tearful and crying constantly. She also appears to be

depressed.

9. The patient has been depressed since she began seeing me in 1993.

10. Discharge status: Alive, but without my permission.

11. Healthy appearing decrepit 69-year old male, mentally alert, but

forgetful.

12. Patient had waffles for breakfast and anorexia for lunch.

13. She is numb from her toes down.

14. While in ER, she was examined, x-rated and sent home.

15. The skin was moist and dry.

16. Occasional, constant infrequent headaches.

17. Patient was alert and unresponsive.

18. Rectal examination revealed a normal size thyroid.

19. She stated that she had been constipated for most of her life until

she got a divorce.

20. I saw your patient today, who is still under our car for physical

therapy.

21. Both breasts are equal and reactive to light and accommodation.

22. Examination of genitalia reveals that he is circus sized

23. The lab test indicated abnormal lover function.

24. Skin: somewhat pale. but present.

25. The pelvic exam will be done later on the floor.

26. Large brown stool ambulating in the hall.

27. Patient has two teenage children, but no other abnormalities

Oz

Troggy

Visit site
I wrote to NAF once as an advert they had in H&H had loose instead of lose, they sent me a nice reply and a voucher!

Summer pudding

Visit site
Is the OP going to get in touch with Spillers and tell them the outrage they have provoked... At the same time have a look at the ad for Premier Equine rugs in H&H. 38 words without any punctuation, very hard to work out what they are trying to say. So another bugbear, cramming lots of info into one LONG, unbroken sentence. Methinks I must get a life!

Venevidivici

Visit site
I just might! Everyone write in to Spillers-they'll soon bitterly regret their ways when there's a march of a thousand pedants upon them...😉
Cremedemonthe,they just got better as they went along! Medics /scientists are indeed very literal,I've found!

hoggedmane

Visit site
Nothing in this world is as bad as would of/could of/should of.

You can't of anything! It's would have/could have/should have or would've/could've/should've.

QUOTE]

One of the worst, especially when people actually write the 'of' instead of just saying it. Also hate it when people write loose instead of lose. 'Loosers' that's what I say!

Just picked up a book to read and on the back cover it has the word loose instead of lose!

hoggedmane

Visit site
Also have seen several NHS posters in our local hospital with spelling mistakes

practicing was one (about hand washing) - a printed poster not a written one so I expect it is in lots of places. Maybe it was printed in the USA.

RLS

Visit site
When I got my retired racehorse's passport it stated his breed as 'Thoroughbread'.
Well, I know he was a bit of a loaf, but it seemed rather unkind to put it on his passport, in black and white.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I can't look at the Robinsons catalogue any longer. In it items are often sold 'singularly' rather than in pairs or groups. Really? Don't suppose they mean one at a time or 'singly'.

humblepie

Visit site
As well as "medal", how about "x is likely to podium" in this event. No. Again, no.

My brother and a friend (two accountants nearer well into their 50s) were out one evening and the bar they were in had a sign "buy two drinks, get a third free". So they had a drink each, drank those, then ordered another drink each and correctly argued that drink 3 out of the 4 was free.

fburton

Visit site
I haven't seen menage in an advert yet (mainly because I have trained my eyes and computer to ignore adverts), but I wouldn't be surprised if it has happened!

To avoid OP's original misspelling one wouldn't need a human proofreader at all if the advert was created with typical software that includes spell-checking for free. It pains me to see such errors in students' essays and project write-ups because it indicates ignorance, laziness or, worst of all, an uncaring attitude. It's so easy to use - so why not bl**dy use it?! Heck, I get a red squiggle under "dietery" just typing it here.