Spillers lay off cubes

julie.rockley

Visit site
My new ex racer is currently in fibre beet and spillers lay off cubes. I don’t know much about the lay off cubes, I’ve kept him in these just whilst he’s settling in as this is what he was fed before. my question is should he stay on these or could I change them to something that isn’t particularly for racehorses and could be better for him. He’s not particularly skinny lacks muscle as not riden yet as waiting for saddle.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
They aren't something that I would feed, as they contain soya, which one of mine is intolerant of in any form. Your horse may very well be fine eating it; my others all are, but they are fed in the field, and I don't like to risk them swapping buckets! The ingredients listed for the cubes on the company's website are as follows: wheatfeed, oatfeed, soya (bean) hulls dehulled (genetically modified), molasses, barley, rice bran, calcium carbonate, sunflower seed meal dehulled, sodium chloride (salt). From what I can see, they are slightly higher in oil than the fibre beet would be, and slightly lower in fibre, but the protein level is the same in both products at 10%. You could consider switching the cubes out for a balancer to ensure that your horse has the right amount of vitamins and minerals, and then reassess his diet from there, based on his workload, etc. Be aware that some seemingly plain feeds can be surprisingly high in protein - grass nuts, for example, can come in at around 16%.