spine blister on rugged horse - help

flying_high

Visit site
My horse had the middle of his spine shaved for nerve blocks.
I was told okay to start riding him after 5 days, and area looked fine.
Despite using a freshly washed, and I thought soft numnah and a short ride, the area has rubbed like blister.

It is fragile skin and weeping. It hasn't healed in last 4 days.

He is fully clipped and all the rugs seem to stick to the area, as do dressings.

I think it is like a pressure sore.

I am not sure how to heal it. As it is too cold for no rugs. And field is muddy and horse likes rolling.

I tried kinesiology taping some foam either side of sore area to lift rug off area but it didn't stay put.

Horse is also meant to be in a strict rehab program but there is no way I can put roller or saddle on him.

I do have vet coming today.

But I wondered anyone has some brilliant ideas?

I have previously sewn sponges under either side of wither to lift rug of wither rub. But I think being just under the back of the saddle the area is too mobile and anything attached to rug risks rubbing.

I have kinesiology tape and skin stick spray.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am glad the vet is coming to ensure that there is not an infection from a needle. I have seen this with my dog and a work horse, and it is a vet matter.

If it is just a pressure sore then that is easier to deal with. If the horse is clipped and cold then I would use an adhesive dressing, changing either every day or twice a day if the gunk is bad.

TBH with the weather as it is, a few hours out naked would not kill even a clipped one. Let the air get to it. Mine is thin skinned but even she only had an extremely lightweight rug last night, and could easily have gone without.

As for the exercise program, I can't see how a sore under the back of the saddle would prevent a roller?

Anyway, it is perfectly possible to get a horse working properly using 2 reins, no roller. You can either lunge circles with the second rein being held up above the (moving) hocks with a light contact, either with a cavesson or onto the bit, or, by long reining with you driving the horse.

Most horses have had 2 reins as part of the backing process, and even if neither of you is experienced at it, it can be taught in a session or so with a helper.

Shay

Visit site
I had this with a sore on an older pony's wither that would not heal a few years back. The blood supply is poor there and the skin very fragile. We cut a hole in an old rug - keeping the top of the neck band so it didn't fall apart but cutting away a chunk covering the spine. He wore that with an ultra lightweight on top. (I think the one we cut was a medium if memory serves). We were told not to dress the area as it spreads the wound. We treated with salt water baths and silver cream. I don't think we knew about using manuka honey then - otherwise I'm sure I would have tried it!! It took about 8 weeks to heal and we have to be very careful of his withers so it doesn't repeat.

honetpot

Visit site
You need some sort of absorbent dressing to cover it. If its a clipped these should stick.
https://www.convatec.co.uk/wound-skin/duoderm-dressings/duoderm-extra-thin-dressing/
https://www.coloplast.co.uk/biatain-non-adhesive-en-gb.aspx
Both of these absorb any exudate and will keep it clean. If possible change every couple of days, to a week.
If you are padding the rug to keep the weight off, I would make some long pads for either side of the spine and use Velcro to stick them on the rug, and make them longer than the area affected so you do not create another pressure point.

flying_high

Visit site
Thanks, yes vet check it tonight. Though that is not the original purpose of the visit. (I have messaged vet to see if he can bring something non stick and protective, and he suggested surgical spirit, I think that would be very painful, I think vet might change mind when sees rub? Or not!!!)

The original injection sites had fully healed, before I rode under vet instruction. I think this is just a Lemieux saddle cloth that has skinned the shaved injection site, and then rugs keep rubbing the same area. But good to have vet eyes.

It terms of work, his rehab program is for his back and in relation to stretching / lifting back and building muscle, and I was told to start it immediately, and doing it daily gave him best chance recovery.

Vet’s view on hacking (which would be ponying at the moment) is that no detriment, but no benefit for current issues. Not to say I wouldn’t hack as I am a firm believer in cross training.

Yes I can work him with just a lunge rein / in hand / over raised poles. And have been doing so daily since the rub. And we are getting better at stretching down like this.

But I am supposed to be using supporting aids when lunging per vet report as the focus is on building back muscle. I am doing gryavolts, leg yield raised walk and trot poles, and rein back and hoping we ARE still building muscle. But I wanted the variety and support of using lunging aids and doing ridden exercises too.

I can long rein, but I prefer to do it through roller rings / stirrups and not just loose with reins trailing. I a bit less keen on ropes not attached to anything.

He’s not to stay in as vet directions are to keep moving as much as possible. I am 100% certain he would roll in the mud and get the area covered in clay mud if I turned him out rugless!

The cutting big hole out of a stable rug is a good idea, I could put a no fill turnout on top. In fact I have a rug liner 200 / 350gms which could be sacrificed.

Another friend has suggested using the kavalkade / Laura B lunging rope and using neck strap / tying it to a plait in mane to stop slipping back over rub. That might work.

Where the rub is it would not be possible to use a lunge roller at the moment, as it risks just touching front of rub. It is about 1 inch wide, and 3 inches long, along top of spine.

I have found a sheepskin lined numnah for once healed. I think this going to be a long haul, as it is right were the back moves a bit under the saddle. And there is no hair after being close shaved.

only_me

Visit site
What about one of those doughnut cushions, you can get blow up or foam ones. Foam one you could sew into a rug or attach with Velcro so the rug would sit above the area?

Might be able to get that under a roller as well so could still lunge.

Mule

Visit site
What about one of those doughnut cushions, you can get blow up or foam ones. Foam one you could sew into a rug or attach with Velcro so the rug would sit above the area?

That's a great idea.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Try 3 x toddler nappies. Cut out large hole from 2 of them.
Gaffa tape them to underside of a cotton summer sheet with the uncut one closest to sheet and all of them with absorbent side to horse.
Then rug over the top. The nappy stack ought to hold firm unless horse very busy in stable.
You might well be able to place a roller over this too, before adding turnout over the top.
Worked for me when rehabbing a case a few years ago.

flying_high

Visit site
Could you ride without a numnah? As long as the saddle doesn't touch it, as it's spine I'd expect that to be ok

Possibly, it is pretty much the spine area, an inch wide and three inches long. One to ask vet tonight and show him saddle.

I have alu spray too.

flying_high

Visit site
Try 3 x toddler nappies. Cut out large hole from 2 of them.
Gaffa tape them to underside of a cotton summer sheet with the uncut one closest to sheet and all of them with absorbent side to horse.
Then rug over the top. The nappy stack ought to hold firm unless horse very busy in stable.
You might well be able to place a roller over this too, before adding turnout over the top.
Worked for me when rehabbing a case a few years ago.

Have nappies to excess for feet in first aid kit. I wondered about wound needing to breathe and nappies being waterproof,

flying_high

Visit site

Ah I have insulating foam tubes under my saddle rack, which might work

flying_high

Visit site
Right vet tonight. Had got worse and weeping again.

Cleaned and no longer weeping, doesn’t think any more than a rub that’s turned into pressure sore.

We’ve taped 3 car wash sponges together short side to short side. Hollowed out most of middle to relieve pressure. Taped non stick melanin dressing over top. Then kinesiology tape and skin glue to hold on. Then naps over top and duct tape. 🤞

Hopefully protect, let breathe and relieve pressure.

Thinks take 7 days to heal, and another 7 to risk putting saddle on. 🤞🤞

still standing

Visit site
Do you have a powder called Forans Skin Care Powder available to you? Or something similar? Last Saturday to my horror, when I checked my retired horse under his rug, he had a similar oozing blister rub on his 'jumpers bump' where a fold in the lining of his rug had started rubbing. Not yet infected so my objective was to dry it up as quickly as possible. I cleaned the sore with anti-fungal liquid, patted it gentry dry and then patted LOTS of the powder onto it. And changed his rug of course. The cleaning and powder repeated, only took 3 days before the sore was completely dry and smooth and looks absolutely OK since then. I can't advise on how to continue with your horse's work but that may help you with the initial healing when your horse has to wear a rug also.

flying_high

Visit site
Do you have a powder called Forans Skin Care Powder available to you? Or something similar? Last Saturday to my horror, when I checked my retired horse under his rug, he had a similar oozing blister rub on his 'jumpers bump' where a fold in the lining of his rug had started rubbing. Not yet infected so my objective was to dry it up as quickly as possible. I cleaned the sore with anti-fungal liquid, patted it gentry dry and then patted LOTS of the powder onto it. And changed his rug of course. The cleaning and powder repeated, only took 3 days before the sore was completely dry and smooth and looks absolutely OK since then. I can't advise on how to continue with your horse's work but that may help you with the initial healing when your horse has to wear a rug also.

Thanks. It looks like medicated talc? I bought half of boots chemist wound section in my lunch break, including medicated talc. So hopefully when heals might help prevent rug rub.