Spirulina anyone feed it?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Someone recommended feeding it for respiratory health as one of my horses is pollen sensitive sometimes and it's particularly bad at the moment, I live opposite a spruce wood and everything is covered in yellow dust.

Reading up on it it can also help with metabolic issues and a few other things, the price varies massively the horse companies price is almost double compared to human health shops!!

Does anyone feed it and what for and do you think it works?

tristar

Visit site
i put that much stuff in the muesli i cant say what it tastes like, but its not strong on human taste buds, i suppose if you started with a bit, mine have eaten seaweed though but thats more salty which they probably like

Reacher

Visit site
I was trying to feed it as it’s was supposed to help with horse’s dust allergy but he won’t eat it.
Any suggestions for disguising the taste...

Visit site
I took it for ages, can’t say I ever noticed any difference whatsoever (it’s a long time ago and I think I was just taking it for general health). The one thing I will say is the one I had was in capsules and I got one stuck in my throat one day and it split and I ended up with a puff of powder in my mouth, absolutely disgusting Taste, might not be a great thing for a fussy equine to get to eat.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I tried it because it was cheaper than myoplast .
worked out how much you had to give to be the same amount as myoplast .
It was a disaster it dyed everything the bowl the walls the horse ( he’s grey ) it got loose in the feed room it’s so light it’s like down it gets everywhere .
Then the horse had to have its feeds filled with nice things to get him to eat it .
I gave up and buried it on the muck heap where the yellow Labrador dug it up and ate it she was blue green for weeks she looked like an extra from the Braveheart film .
I went back to buying myoplast .

utter-nutter

Visit site
I was recommended it by a vet to help put topline on tb, don’t think it made a massive improvement, (started it when coming into spring so hard to tell if it was the better grass or not!) but his coat did improve and he did seem to weight on ‘all over’ instead of just his belly, but this could have been due to different work regime or the spirulina. Agree with it getting everywhere and dying everything green! My fussy tb did eat, but I did introduce it slowly

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I tried it because it was cheaper than myoplast .
worked out how much you had to give to be the same amount as myoplast .
It was a disaster it dyed everything the bowl the walls the horse ( he’s grey ) it got loose in the feed room it’s so light it’s like down it gets everywhere .
Then the horse had to have its feeds filled with nice things to get him to eat it .
I gave up and buried it on the muck heap where the yellow Labrador dug it up and ate it she was blue green for weeks she looked like an extra from the Braveheart film .
I went back to buying myoplast .

Oh no it sounds a nightmare I don't like the fact it's high protein either.

vetsbestfriend

Visit site
For those that feed or want to feed it for weight gain/muscle health/protein levels, I opted to try Pea Protein from Forage Plus. It is a cream coloured powder so won't stain anything. Just added a small amount first as although doesn't smell, my horse was a bit wary. Pleased with the results on my 23 year old 16h3 TB. And reasonably priced too.