Splashing out on yourself

muddybay

Visit site
Is it worth spending some extra money on tack which only benefits me? I've had my mare for two years now so she's completely decked out and I haven't had to buy anything for her for a while. As I've got a new job I wanted to spend a bit of my earnings on some nicer reins and stirrup leathers but I am now wondering if it's actually worth spending that much more? Are £65 reins really that much better than normal ones? I just want to feel the difference and not feel like I've wasted my money!

ihatework

Visit site
I’d say it’s definitely worth splashing out, but with the caveat that only if the item you buy genuinely makes a positive difference. Expensive doesn’t always mean better.
Try out friends kit as much as you can before you buy blind from a catalogue. Reins, stirrups, saddles, gloves, breeches etc can all be positive changes

Snowfilly

Visit site
My mum brought me handmade English leather reins for my 21st, a Snaffle and a curb set and they cost a lot. They’re wonderful and I have used them on literally hundreds of horses, the leather is butter soft and they fit my hands perfectly- I had them made extra wide, as I can’t abide narrow reins.

Worth every penny! I’ve never used posh rubber grip reins so I can’t say on those but I would absolutely treat myself to posh reins.

Stirrup leathers I have no idea on.

hock

Visit site
Do it! If you can afford it. I’ve changed all mine over to flex on safe on stirrups now and I’m so glad I did. Expensive but such a nice feel from them and haven’t lost a stirrup since. So yeah if I thought £65 would improve my enjoyment I’d spend it.

thommackintosh

Visit site
I was in a similar position after a backdated promotion so I decided to treat myself with Pravins Sellier leathers and flex-on stirrups. Love them. Treat yourself ?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I needed new stirrup leathers and bought Albion non stretch, they are less bulky than some others and I didn’t regret the extra that they cost..you only live once so if you can afford to have what you want ..

Skib

sites.google.com
Feeling very ignorant - what are eventa reins and how do they make such a difference?

They are a patented flexible rein with pimpled leather on the holding area. But I have smallish hands and prefer thinner reins. I rode my old share in
7202 Sabre Plain Leather Reins, Colour: Black, Width: 16mm (5/8") and bought the same for my current share which cost me £36.99

Pippity

Visit site
They are a patented flexible rein with pimpled leather on the holding area. But I have smallish hands and prefer thinner reins. I rode my old share in
7202 Sabre Plain Leather Reins, Colour: Black, Width: 16mm (5/8") and bought the same for my current share which cost me £36.99

That's why I love my cheapie Shires reins! They're almost webbing-y along the length of the rein with continental-style stops, and leather for the buckles and billets. So much more comfortable in my hands than other styles/brands I've tried.