Splint advice pls

Peanot

Visit site
Hello, well my horse seems to have knocked himself in the paddock and given himself a splint! Short story: he's now been lame for 5 weeks! Been reading all about them and it seems there's lots of different views/opinions. I had vet out after I'd kept him on box rest for 2 days and he trotted up sound so vet said turn out, ride but obviously as new splint don't worry if he does go little lame, just give him a day or so off. I rode for 10 mins in walk and turned him out, n he came in slightly lame again. I decided to leave him out and let nature take its course but as he is a lively energetic monkey, he got slightly worse so I asked vet for advice n suggested box rest so he said to try 2 weeks. Due to a novice person trotting their pony past us whilst we were grazing after 6 days of box rest, he took off and had a canter n trot n we could see he was still slightly lame. (I am grazing him 3 times a day controlled). I decided to let him into a small paddock with his quiet friend today and he was fine for 5 mins til the yard owner (non horsey) drove past in his tractor! Needless to say that this set him off cavorting and cantering. Of course he's got all this pent up energy which is always a worry when first turning out after box rest so I'm worrying about turning him out now. But at the same time, I don't think that box rest is the answer! Anyone had any experiences with splints and lameness? I know it's time but i just want to do what's best for his leg and his head. TIA
Thanks for reading :)

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
When my pony threw a splint at four (he's now 22!) the vet advised me to rest him as it would be sore whilst forming. I was able also to walk him in-hand a short distance and stand him in a stream which helped ease the soreness.

My pony hates being in and gets stressed so he would be out. If you can cold hose it/ice boot that would be beneficial if he's been charging about making himself lame.