Splint question

seaofdreams

Visit site
i was going to take a picture to show but keep forgetting, i am a bit paranoid (sp?) about my horses legs (after lottie who had lots of probs and i had to be very carefull what i did) so i always check them daily
anyway getting to the point!! i took Mouse x-country on 25th June (wish i hadn't gone now it was awfull) the ground was hard in some places, so that night i put that 'stay sound' gunk on them, but the next day she came up with a lump on her leg, it's on the outside of the off-fore, she has never been lame on it, there was no heat in it and you can prod it as much as you like with no reaction, it feels hard and splint like
can this happen ?? it just came up over night ??
thanks
Hx

martinka

Visit site
Hiya,
my mare suddenly thrown a splint. I listened to Kathryn's Duffy (Kathryn and Paul have international showjumping yard in Ireland) and she talked about using a specific magnet directly on a splint on one of her showjumpers with fantastic results. I have recorded the conference call and have it on a CD if you would like a copy or more info let me know please.
I know it works because I used the magnet on my mare's splint every night for last 3 days it reduced by more than half!

sherwood'

Visit site
Splintex all the way. i tried everything and this is the ONLY thign that works. about 40 but well worht it. get off interent and put on once a day. fab- will blsiter it ever so slightly but will be away in 2 months-0 it got rid of a massive one on my horse and leg is perfect now. i have posted before about it in more detail if u want to look for it!!!

UKa

community.webshots.com
My horse has had a lump like that on outside fore since the winter that doesn’t bother her. I have been advised to leave it well alone as it is not bothering horse. Unless you want to show in-hand?

Beanyowner

Visit site
Splintex is apparently very good although I have no idea what the active ingredients are etc.
If you use this could you please try and post a diary of how the split is healing while using this product and try and mention any other treatment you are doing i.e. walking the horse out/box rest/any other medication etc so I can try and follow how it works?!? Pictures would be fab if you could include them too!!!
laugh.gif

Claire x

seaofdreams

Visit site
hi thanks i have magnet boots on her anyway, so i might turn them around so they are on it, no i didn't really want to show her (not at a big level anyway!!) i don't know if just to leave it as she is not at all bothered by it, it just stands out (well it does to me)

Caritas

Visit site
I have been using splintex for three months now on a slpint that was a size of a golf ball, it is flat now instead of rounded but only about 1/8th smaller than what it was, shall i carry on using it and will it eventually work?? Not as impressed as eveyone makes out.

martinka

Visit site
when you do get the boots, if you can, make sure the magnet is actually directly on the splint! I left mine on overnight, you should not leave them on for longer than 12 hours though. good luck! x

MagicMelon

Visit site
This is the website for Splintex http://www.splintex-horsesysinc.com/

Ive been thinking about getting some lately too as my boy has just developed his 2nd splint
frown.gif

I emailed the company about ingredients (and if it contained any prohibited stuff):

"Splintex does not contain any restricted ingredients and has been accepted by F.D.A.

Gold contents:
Camphor
Methyl Salycilate
Menthol
Thymol
Clove Oil
Eucalyptus Oil
Petroleum Distillate

Silver has the same but additional phenol

sherwood'

Visit site
Really? i woudl keep going and try putting it on twice a day and see how u get on. I got rid of a golf ball sized one too in a few months- i found it very very good but maybe it jsut depneds on how the pslit has formed etc. keep going tho- dont give up yet!

Jo C

Visit site
Didn't ever work on my boys splint - I wasn't impressed at all, I found magnetic boots and time made more of an impact to be honest.

Caritas

Visit site
I tried magnetic boots for two months previous and i must admit they never worked either. The splintex is starting to make a bit of difference or maybe its just gone down over time, who knows!!

Caritas

Visit site
It is smaller but not greatly, did yours go down really quick or was it a very slow progression? Mine didnt seem to change at all for the first 8 weeks and now it seems to be showing some difference.

sherwood'

Visit site
well it was maybe onyl a few weeks before i noticed a diff but i wud stick with it for a while longer anwyay and see how it goes

ihatework

Visit site
I personally wouldn't bother.
I bought some for my horse who threw a new splint (silver) and applied 4 cycles with no improvement in splint size.

martinka

Visit site
I really think it all does depends on where the splint is, how long it has been there for and of course on a horse. Like with humans, one thing may work for one person and not for another. I tried Splintex, did not work for my horse. Tried 2 different companies producing magnetic stuff, one did not work but the other did. I think it is always worth to try whatever available. If I listened to my vet, I would never be able to hack out my horse. Same with my dog. They told me in Feb he would have to be put down within 4 weeks unless going through serious op, knew it would not be right for him, too big and too old to cope with such an invasive op, so turned to alternative medicine and he came out good, enjoying his life again and making me happy.
smile.gif

KatB

Visit site
I used magnetic boots on Goddy's as he threw one 6wks before his first county show, and it dramatically decreased the size of it. Really recommend magnetic therapy anyway.
smile.gif

little_pink_piggies

Visit site
hi, i know i sound like a comfrey freak on this forum but try a hot comfrey poultice for 12 hours a day! its what they used to use before plaster of paris was invented and its sometimes called knit bone, it has amazing effects! look it up on google for more advice! good luck hope he recovers xxx