Splint

not_with_it

Visit site
Its just like bone growth on the inside of the leg just under the knee. Dont let it put you off, loads of horses have them and the dont cause any problems.

welshpony

Visit site
The owner said that she was selling it because the splint prevented the horse from reaching top level showing. But I assume the mare would still be ok for anything else?

wench

Visit site
is the splint fully developed, or is it just developing?

I believe that as they are developing there may be a chance that the horse cannot work.

Fully developed shouldnt cause a problem

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
As has been said, if its already developed it shouldnt be a problem, but if its just come up and is developing it will need time off work. Also, if you do like this horse a lot, the vet will be able to tell you if the splint will cause any future problems. Rock has splints on both front legs and hes fine.

Sal_E

Visit site
Hmmm, I would be rather suspicious of someone saying that to me! I mean, could someone who is experienced & capable enough of competing in 'top level SJ' really think that a splint is a permanent problem? It can cause soreness/lameness when forming (often doesn't though), but once formed, it should just 'be there' with no problems. It's an extremely common thing & I've never known them cause ongoing problems - if this horse DOES have ongoing problems, then I would be concerned that the true cause hasn't yet been diagnosed. That or the owner is not being honest about the reason for selling...

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
i expect the owner does showing, and the horse would get marked down for having a splint, and would get nowhere in top level showing if the horse has a splint.

Sal_E

Visit site
Sh*t sorry - red herring, I read it as 'show jumping' - Welsh Pony's picture must have distracted me, LOL!

OK, not suspicious now - you don't want splints in top level SHOWING!!!

Apologies to the nice lady selling her horse
grin.gif

welshpony

Visit site
Lol, I was about to reply to that little red herring...well I'll find out a bit more before going to try and I'll definitely get a vet to look the splint if I like her.