Splint

zoelouisem

Visit site
Daughters pony come up lame today 6 year old competition pony.
On inspection there's a small warm splint that sore to touch apart from that totally cold legs with no other swellings. She has individual bark turnout at the minute and doesn't jump about so I'm just guessing it's come up from the jumping.
We've ice tighted her and given her some Bute this evening.
What else apart from rest can we do to help it settle? Friend is getting his cold freezer boots for me tomorrow.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Daughters pony come up lame today 6 year old competition pony.
On inspection there's a small warm splint that sore to touch apart from that totally cold legs with no other swellings. She has individual bark turnout at the minute and doesn't jump about so I'm just guessing it's come up from the jumping.
We've ice tighted her and given her some Bute this evening.
What else apart from rest can we do to help it settle? Friend is getting his cold freezer boots for me tomorrow.

I would ask the vet for some DMSO for splints, once healed it wont cause problem but maybe idea to put boots on jumping

DMSO is a mild anti-inflammatory and can also be used to deliver drugs directly to the site of injury, which is why vets love the stuff. I used it (with cortisone in it) at vet's advice to bring down a large knee swelling (which is now gone). You can avoid the problems of giving an anti-inflam by mouth.

If it has other stuff in it try not to get it on your skin. People do use DMSO as an anti-inflammatory although I think that is off-label in this country. You will know if you get it on your skin as you will "taste" it in the back of your throat, it tastes a bit unpleasant (like how bad breath smells)

zoelouisem

Visit site
She has really good boots on for jumping.
I'm really really careful with my ponies if I arrived at a show and deemed the ground to hard I would go home without jumping!

I can get DMSO from work as work on a yard too was just reading up on it and was a few conflicting words on it. I've got a good relationship with work vet so may give him a quick call Tommorow.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
She has really good boots on for jumping.
I'm really really careful with my ponies if I arrived at a show and deemed the ground to hard I would go home without jumping!

I can get DMSO from work as work on a yard too was just reading up on it and was a few conflicting words on it. I've got a good relationship with work vet so may give him a quick call Tommorow.

Pony might have done it in the field

zoelouisem

Visit site
Yer she's in a bark pen at daytime at the moment but I did turn her out last week for 3 days for s mini so suspect it was that.
Will keep her rested for a few days. Then put her back in the pen luckily for food she'll stay quiet!!! 😂

SEL

Visit site
I swear by DMSO for splints - but do wear gloves applying it and remember to wash off before you go prodding your horse's splint & get it all over you..... (Only happens once, the stuff tastes vile)

zoelouisem

Visit site
I swear by DMSO for splints - but do wear gloves applying it and remember to wash off before you go prodding your horse's splint & get it all over you..... (Only happens once, the stuff tastes vile)

Brilliant years ago my jumping horse got one and remember someone giving me this pot of liquid with nothing on the bottle and getting it everywhere and it tasting gross and everyone laughing and saying don't be stupid I suspect now it was dmso!!

zoelouisem

Visit site
Well got dmso but silly pony decided to start licking her leg!! Quickly hosed it off. Hopefully it was slightly absorbed before I had to wash it off!! Going to tie her up while I'm mucking her out tomorrow and put it on then!!