Splints - please advise URGENT

vicm2509

Visit site
I am just wanting confirmation that I am doing the right thing really.

On Thursday I noticed Baron had a small splint on the inside of his near fore leg. Its about the size of a pea, its hard and about 5-6 inches below his knee. It has very little heat in it, and most of the time none at all. He is totally sound.

I kept him in all weekend, and he was bandaged overnight with stable bandages on both front legs. I have kept him in light work, walk and trot with a little canter but only in the menage and the in the field, no road work at all.

I have bought a cold pack and after putting it in the freezer I put it on his leg for about an hour. Also been hosing his leg twice a day.

I put him out last night with splint boots on and will continue to turn him out if this is ok.

Am I doing the right thing? Im not sure if this split is formed or not, I know it want there last week. From what I have read I gather that in 2 weeks it should be formed and will then not get any worse. Is it likely to get smaller or go away totally? Im not sure what I am supposed to be achieving by hosing it, I just read that is what you should do.

I really dont know what to do, please help.

Alex_kate

Visit site
cold hose, pressure bandage, if possible box rest till it goes codl and hard and i would keep him out of work for a month- mine has a massive splint at the moment which has caused alot of problems

emelia

Visit site
I agree with Alex_kate. My last mare had a big splint and i was told to rest her in field at first but after a week she was still very lame so then she was put on box rest for 3 weeks and I had some gel called Tensolvet (?) to apply twice a day. I also put a magnet on for an hour a day but don't know if they work!! I would err on the side of caution and rest ur horse comepletely. The good thing is if allowed to heal properly they generally cause few problems in the future though they will always have a lump there due to the calcium build up.

vicm2509

Visit site
I got my YO to have a look at it last night as he has years of experience. He says that it feels like it is already formed as it is very hard and there is no heat in it at all. I am certain that it wasnt there last week as I check his legs daily. It is really small, just pea size.

So he checked him over and said he has very slight swelling in his knee but there is no heat there either. He advised me to turn him out (which I have done but hes booted) and if the knee swelling is still there or the splint increases in size in a week to call the vet out. He thinks he has knocked or jarred it in the field.

He is now out with boots on, but isnt being ridden. I cold hose it twice a day, also apply an ice pack and put cooling gel on before I boot him up and turn him out.

If no better by the weekend I will put him on box rest, then call the vet if its any worse on tuesday. He is still totally sound with no heat anywhere in his leg.

MrsMagoo

Visit site
talking of splints, is it usual for the them to appear on the outside of the leg?? Star has a solid lump on her right outside near where a splint would be, could it be one?? shes never been lame or anything....

vicm2509

Visit site
I have been doing a lot of reading and from what I can understand is they can appear on the outside of the leg although this isnt as common as the inside.

My horse has his on the inside but he isnt lame or sore.

This is his, it is only quite small though

DSC01704.jpg

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Amymay threw one about four years ago - and it looked just like that. She was never lame, so I just ignored it.

There's absolutely no sign of it now. Unless it's causing a problem, or you intend to show the horse, I really wouldn't worry.