Splints - Please Help

vicm2509

Visit site
I have noticed Baron has a splint on his front leg. I am 100% sure it has only appeared in the last few days. I have never had a horse with forming splints before and I really dont know what to do.

He is totally sound and someone at the yard said I should keep him in work but on soft ground only and dont jump him.

I always use boots on him and never go faster than trot if the ground is hard. He is 7 years old and since I got him 4 months ago his workload has gradually increased and he is now doing lots of jumping.

What could have caused this and is it likely to get worse and affect what I can do with him?

Sorry for all the questions but can someone please advise me on what to do.

brightmount

Visit site
Although I haven't had to deal with splints on any of my horses, I have heard Splintex silver is very good for fresh splints, and Splintex gold for old splints.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
also i was reccomended by my vet when my last pony had a splint to put human ibuperphen (sp??) gell on it- it stops any inflamatories and works as a painkiller.

Patchwork

Visit site
Take it easy for a bit until the splint has settled (especially if there is heat in it - you could use something like ice gel) but nope it shouldnt cause any more problems unless it is near a joint. It could have been caused by concussion, a direct blow (e.g a knock or a kick) or by stress put on the leg by poor conformation.

smile.gif

Rambo

Visit site
My chap has recently thrown a new splint....same age as yours...as long as there is no heat in the leg, keep him working, but take it easy for a while. He'll tell you if it isn't right
smile.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
Thanks, those replies have made me feel much better about the whole thing. I was so upset when I noticed it before. I will try the ice gel and keep hosing it for a week and see what happens, if there is no change I may try the splintex.

Could it have been caused by his shoeing? I had some thicker shoes put on him about 3 weeks ago. Or maybe its just the hard ground, he is in a huge field with about 30 other horses so it is very likely he has been playing or galloping around and the ground has been so hard until recently.

vicm2509

Visit site
Would it be adviseable to put some boots on him while he is turned out? Maybe just to support his leg a bit more and prevent any further knocks to it?

vicm2509

Visit site
That link is brilliant, thanks very much.

I am still usnsure of weather I should be working him or not? I did lots of reading last night and some sites say total box rest, others say keep them working. So I am going to do some light work in the paddock and field but keep him bandaged. I will also be keeping him in overnight bandaged for a few days at least just to prevent him galloping around the field.

If by monday its getting worse I may call the vet out to check it over.

Im off to get some cold packs today and will get to work on it later.