Splints

gnubee

Visit site
I’ve found a 10 y o horse who is perfect in every way, except for a large splint on the inside foreleg. It seems healed and he’s sound in current work, but seems to only be ridden lightly so not sure how well tested it’s been. Does anyone have any experience of whether this is likely to cause problems as he gets older or in a heavier workload? Would getting x-rays on the vetting be likely to give any better information on this?(will also discuss this last point with the vet)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
As long as the splint is cold, not into the knee joint and sound then it would not bother me in the slightest.

They tend to get them age 7 and below, so it is likely to be older as opposed to newly formed. They do get smaller as horses age also, IME.

gnubee

Visit site
Seller said it’s an old one. It is cold to touch and we’ll away from the knee - not very far up from the fetlock though if that could also be a problem?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My wonderful horse Jay had one there. No issues at all.

I would just put him forward for vetting in the normal way and ask the vet to comment when he/she comes.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
My section C threw a huge one quite near the knee without ever going lame. Came up overnight, never caused a problem at all. He was still sound when I lost him at 23. Wouldn't worry me at all.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
My boy popped a couple of them. One on each leg! Never had any lameness from these, both are cold. Doesn’t stop him from doing everything (apart from showing, he acts like a tw*t in the ring!)
I use him for local competitions, sponsored rides etc. He’s a cracker over XC fences!