spoke to vet again this morning over the phone about big lad

leanne123

Visit site
hes coming out after 3 today, hes also said that he wants a second opinon about this too from a different vets. thank god i didn't have to say anything.
so im gonna pop back to the yard and clip his legs out and hopefully later on today we will have him being refered somewhere.
i'd rather him be with them where he can be treated stright away than here with me atm.
send us some good vibes for later.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Hiya Storm,

Please keep me informed as you and your horsey have been praying on my mind since you posted yesterday.

I really hope it all works out for you and while refering can seem an expensive option, it will probably work out cheaper for you in the long run since the injury doesnt appear to be healing.

Wishing you both all the best! Not sure where they will refer you to, but if its Liverpool (Leahurst) then you'll both be in excellent hands.

brightmount

Visit site
A little time in horsepital will give you a break too. I know how you must be feeling, as I've been there. Sending big hugs to you and the big fella
smile.gif

Louby

Visit site
I really hope he's ok.
Without harping on about my boy, he had a kick wound on his carpul sheath, fractured radius and chips to his knee. My vet sent him to Leahurst that night not because of the fracture but because the position of the wound screamed infected carpal sheath. He was expected to be operated on the same night. Thankfully they gave him IV anti biotics and the following morning they decided he didnt need a GA, they said he had been very lucky. He stayed there for 2 weeks and they were fantastic.
A lady on my old yard mares knee looked holey on xray as the infection had eaten away at it, hers was a tiny cut and she was 10/10ths lame after a couple of weeks although sound when it was done. Her vet didnt do much other than prod and give antibiotics. Unfortunately money, no insurance etc meant by the time another vet looked at it she couldnt afford to send her for a GA.
I really really hope you get good news or a referal to Leahurst or Ashbrook. Good luck, I'll be thinking about you.

leanne123

Visit site
thanks everyone hes going tommorrow morning.
what i do know for sure now is that its not a fracture, its actually a shin splint well thats what they call the human injury anyway. theres no infection showing in the bone as it would be eating away at it. but hes going to be double cheaked anyway for that.
vets decided its either a problem with the boney lump (shin splint) or the tendon sheath.
now his legs clipped its so much easier to see where his tendon sheath starts and its about half way down the upper part of the tendon sheath so atm im inclined to think thats the problem.
will now for sure tommorrow though.

Patches

Visit site
I do hope it's more from the bony lump. Would hate to think it's an infected tendon sheath for all this time. Although, that said, I'd be inclined to think he'd be absolutely dog lame and crippled, as Patches was. (although her infection was right on the knee joint itself).

I wonder what the possibility of him having tendon adhesions as a complication of the injury/infection that he initially had are? Patches developed tendon adhesions post operatively. When the tendon sheath is operated on, swelling occurs (which I assume can also happen without surgery ever being performed). During the healing the swollen tissues/tendons, etc can become entangled and stuck together. This forms an adhesion. Adhesions are incredibly painful for the horse and the only way to break them down is to work the horse daily on high doses of pain killlers to help them work correctly and comfortably. Constant flexing through work frees the sticked together pieces and it all heals completely separate eventually.

Maybe this will be your lads problem, far less traumatic than hearing he's had an infected tendon sheath for 3 months eh?

Good luck. I hope you get to the bottom of his problems. Will be thinking of you tomorrow.