Sponsorship??

11bluewolf

Visit site
I am a first year student and was planning on joining the equestrian society but for various reasons have instead started playing polo which I am really enjoying. However like everything in the equestrian world it is so expensive(although it is a lot cheaper than usual)! I am currently looking for a job as I am struggling finically with university anyway so obviously I am not able to play polo very often.

This may be a completely ridiculous idea but I was wondering whether it is possible to find a sponsor/ or a scheme that sponsors university students/ people struggling financially to help towards the costs which would allow me to partake more often.

Im sure there is no such scheme but I though i would post on here just to see, or if anyone has any advice?

Thanks!

11bluewolf

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I thought that would be the case. That would be ideal but the club is too far away and I don't have a car unfortunately. I think ill just have to hold off until maybe next year or when i get a proper job!

Shay

Visit site
Pony Club Polo is more affordable - if you are under 25. You need a reduced string and there are several owners who maintain strings for PC Polo at national level.

Alternatively make sure the club you are at supports grass roots polo. Obviously each club is different but the membership and DIY livery fees at a grass roots club are very reasonable and you can share chukkas at a grassroots match - so you might ride one or two chukkas and another rider take the others.

Whilst you are waiting, a polo lesson doesn't cost any more than any other riding lesson and many clubs do full days or Polo camp for a month. Compared to the "normal" cost of a riding lesson or riding camp they are very much the same.

case895

Visit site
Put yourself in the position of a potential sponsor and ask yourself "Would I give money to some stranger to fund their hobby?" That should answer your question.

teapot

Visit site
I found uni polo to be more affordable than uni riding lessons tbf. If you're serious about bridging the gap between students and lesson prices, perhaps suggest some fundraising ideas for the club so they can start having a pot of money to help people out. Uni sport is meant to be accessible, but so much of that comes down to students doing things to get the best prices available, whether by doing deals with the yards, or by increasing funds.

Last edited: