Spookiness and peck order?

Dry Rot

Visit site
I am wondering if being low in the peck order tends to make a horse more nervous in the herd? I have one that is quite jumpy to sudden movements and I'm considering moving him to field with a couple of youngsters. Anyone had any experiences of this? He is currently in a mixed herd of nine, all ages.

Merlod

Visit site
I'd actually say no, infact i'd be inclined to say it was the opposite - my horse is the herd boss and he is also the spookiest on the yard, which sort of makes sense as the leader he needs to be on alert and watching out for wolves etc!

fburton

Visit site
I suspect being that spooky or nervous is temperament a trait separate from, but somewhat negatively correlated with, social dominance - i.e. more dominant horses tend to be less nervous - but that there will be, as there always is, differences between individuals.

Second, leadership isn't the same as dominance. The most dominant individual in a group isn't necessarily the one the other horses tend to follow.

Finally, I reckon it would make most sense if all the members of a group were alert to potential predators all of the time (except when sleeping), and that they also paying some attention to each other. However, the leader may be the one to lead the herd away from danger most effectively; although one could argue equally well that survival depends on a coordinated group response. It is perhaps more important that the leader doesn't lead the herd into danger.

(Shouldn't this be in the Tack Room?)