Sportabac turn out socks vs Equi chaps

marion95

Visit site
Hi,

Has anyone had experience of either of these. Want to get some turn out boots for my TB, mostly to protect the legs from injury, although she does get mild mud fever, so that would be a bonus too. Am leaning towards sportabac 'cos they're cheaper, but don't want to make a false economy.

Any opinions please?

Thanks

10past6

Visit site
I use the equi chaps on my Tb and they are great. As long as you put them on tight enought (not too tight thou) they stay in place in the thickest of mud. I know someone who used the other turn out boots and found them not as great, they wouldn't stay in place and she eventually lost one. She may not have put them on correctly, i dont know, but i'd go for the equi chaps.

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
In my experience the sportabac are actually better, I bought some equi chaps and the slipped and got ripped the second time I used them (mind you groom put them on so may have been too loose) but friend had sportabac and I borrowed them a few times and thought they were better value for money.

juliehannah58

Visit site
OMG the Sportabac turnout socks are completely RUBBISH!
mad.gif

I bought a pair, cost a fortune and lasted about 5 days before the stitching all got pulled out. I repaired the straps about 4 or 5 time before giving up, they were USELESS! I got the impression the material was not strong enough to withstand the stitching of the straps, as it stretched and ripped very easily.

I will never, ever by any of their products ever again! I still have the remains as a reminder of what awful quality they were.....
mad.gif

*RANT OVER!* LOL
grin.gif

london30

Visit site
Are you sure you're not getting confused, the Sportabac turnout socks only cost about 25 pound compared to the Equichaps which are about 50 pound. The Sportabac ones only have stitching where the straps are and at the fetlock too.

juliehannah58

Visit site
It's definitely the Sportabac turnout socks, it was however a few years ago when they first came out, they may have improved since then but I won't waste my money to find out! I bought them because my horse had a pastern injury and these were one of the only boots at the time that would cover it.

We bought the longest ones from Derby House I think, they were about £37 at the time if I recall. Too much money for something that lasted less than a week.

rcm_73

Visit site
I used Sportabacs last winter for my TB who is turned out all day in all weather and I had no problems, they were washed constantly and I will be using the same boots this year. They do need to fit properly though, I think I bought size 3 for front and 4 for hind legs. They really helped with her mud fever, in fact although it had developed before I bought the boots, it virtually disappeared once I started using them. I looked at Equi-Chaps too but decided to go for the cheaper option as my horse's mud fever isn't severe enough to warrant paying silly amounts of money!

Heidi1

Visit site
Just bough a set of Equichaps for my retired lad, got them half price, apparently they have changed the design slightly so my saddlers were told to sell them off, so got full set for the price of a pair. Hoping they will help my boy out as he gets really bad mud fever.......

hussar

Visit site
I've used both and suffice to say I now have 4 Sportabac socks and sold the Equichaps to a friend. I hated them - the velcro was vicious and stuck to everything, they didn't fit and in fact just scooped up mud and held it against the leg - which wasn't what I was looking for!

The sportabacs fit nicely, were much cheaper, the original pair have lasted about 4 years.