Sports psychology?

soloequestrian

Visit site
I posted recently about having developed a habit of being nervous before riding and a few people mentioned sports psychology. It seems easy to find courses that train you to be a sports psychologist online, but less easy to find someone who actually does consultations. It also seems very expensive, so you would want to find the right person straight away. I'm interested in any experiences/recommendations and also whether there are any good self-help books to look at? thanks.

Kat_Bath

Visit site
It's probably not wholly relevant but I've been having CBT for a couple of months now and it has massively helped my riding since I decided to get back in the saddle a couple of weeks ago. I have a weekly session with a trainee therapist and it's helping re-train my brain and test my thoughts and thinking processes. A couple of years ago, I thought about seeing a sports psychologist (but for curling, not riding) but didn't in the end as something seemed to change overnight and I no longer felt as bad as I had for weeks!

The CBT I am doing at the moment is very similar to a book called Overcoming Low Self-esteem* by Melanie Fennell. I also like Feel the Fear and do it Anyway by Susan Jeffers. A couple of others that I've found hugely helpful are Steve Peters' books the Chimp Paradox and the Silent Guides and a book called the Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k by Mark Mason.

*Just a note on this apparently irrelevant book title; I didn't realise I had low self-esteem but turns out it might be the root of some of my issues. What I'm just trying to say is don't write off a book title without looking into it! There are a good few in the Overcoming series that are good.

Karran

Visit site
Try looking for simple steps to riding success? Its lots of NLP exercises. I only did a few of them and its really made a difference to my confidence hacking alone and riding in front of people!

TPO

Visit site
Second The Chimp Paradox recommendation

Also Brain Training for Riders and Transform Pressure to Power (its eventing related but a horse is a horse and a competition is a competition!)

TPO

Visit site
Thanks, loads to look at! I started the Chimp Paradox a while back but didn't get into it, perhaps I need to give it another go!

I only made it to Chapter 5 but I got enough of the gist that it helped me recognise behaviours

It would probably help more to read more of it but I know what you mean!

teapot

Visit site
Honestly? Find a decent coach, perhaps one who has done the Centre 10 courses, who can work with you and the issue(s) at hand.

I've pratically relearnt how to ride this year thanks to my wonderful coach who stripped it all down, identify a few issues, and built me back up step by step.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Honestly? Find a decent coach, perhaps one who has done the Centre 10 courses, who can work with you and the issue(s) at hand.

I've pratically relearnt how to ride this year thanks to my wonderful coach who stripped it all down, identify a few issues, and built me back up step by step.
Yes me too, currently totally learning to ride again. And properly this time. Been riding for 20 years but never actually learned to "ride ride". Currentlu only doing wobbly trot in the school. But not balancing on my hands for the first time in 20 years.