Spot the riders

phizz4

Visit site
3.30 pm this afternoon, near to Eland lodge, in Staffordshire. Can you see them? I did stop and suggest that they might want to wear some high vis at this time of the afternoon. Quite possibly they were returning late from a hunt meet but it was an accident waiting to happen. I despair sometimes.Riders 1.jpgRiders 2.jpgRiders 1.jpgRiders 2.jpg

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Goodness! That's awful.

Looks as though one of them spooked in front of the oncoming car as well.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Lucky you spotted them. It's only been in the last year that most riders locally, have started wearing hi viz for every ride out and I think that's partly due to the increase in traffic through the village. I've been wearing hi viz for decades, partly out of respect for motorists, who I hope will be curtious to me, partly because I owe it to my horse and partly to set an example to younger riders who may be tempted to think an accident will never happen to them.

vickie123

Visit site
Bonkers. I wouldn’t be impressed if I was the driver behind. They don’t do us riders who hack out any favours with that display.

w1bbler

Visit site
😠😠 its not fair in other road users, if you were the one to hit them the memory would be with you forever. Poor horses & ignorant riders.
I stopped someone near me & had a polite word, she kicked off saying been riding 40+ yrs & not had a problem, what did I know 😯😯

whiteflower

Visit site
I just find it sad they have such little respect for the life of their horses and other road users. Surely if it's got dark and taken you unawares you call and arrange transport

Bob notacob

Visit site
Or if you're hunting you could stick a Sam Browne type thing in your pocket before you set out
A what? Bob and I thought we went out with everything Hi viz known to man (or horse) .We wouldnt want to be missing out !We actualy had a woman complain to us that she couldnt see what we were for all the lights and fluorescent stuff. Worst part was she is a horsey type.I asked her whether despite that she could see something on the road , she had to grudgingly admit ,yes. .I think it might have been Bobs head torch that threw her!

Sandstone1

Visit site
Needs reporting to the hunt if thats where they have been. Its dangerous enough on the roads without taking stupid risks like this. Completely stupid and irresponsible. Idiots

Bob notacob

Visit site
Oh yes, Bob has just asked me to remind you all . Dont wash Hi viz stuff. The reflective bit will still work but it wont fluoresce. Leave it grubby till you cant stand it and then replace. And dont forfget , Orange hi viv is better in summer

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
3.30 pm this afternoon, near to Eland lodge, in Staffordshire. Can you see them? I did stop and suggest that they might want to wear some high vis at this time of the afternoon. Quite possibly they were returning late from a hunt meet but it was an accident waiting to happen. I despair sometimes.View attachment 27980View attachment 27981View attachment 27980View attachment 27981
What total Iriots - It is the horses I feel sorry for they don't know any better. I bet the riders are the * I am not wearing Hi Viz it looks bad * or *cannot be bothered brigade.*

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Pretty shocking, I used to hack home but made sure I never left it late if I had to go on the road. I had a hi vis that fitted in a saddle back and my LED flashing leg bands. The Secretary used to tell me how pleased she was that I wore them and fished them out again if we were on the road while hunting as she always worried about the horses.

ihatework

Visit site
Not uncommon to encounter hunt staff on dark horses, dark coats & plastered in mud after dark in these parts. Darwin anyone?

Mule

Visit site
Oh yes, Bob has just asked me to remind you all . Dont wash Hi viz stuff. The reflective bit will still work but it wont fluoresce. Leave it grubby till you cant stand it and then replace. And dont forfget , Orange hi viv is better in summer
As fond as I am of my Lidl's pink hi viz gilet, I do find the orange hi viz better ☺️

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Something to feature in an H&H article on hunting perhaps? Hacking home after the meet, how it's a good idea to have some hi viz stuffed in a pocket to be brought out at the end of the day. They could use these pics and pay the OP for them ;).

I didn't used to stay out that long, it would still be daylight when I went home.

*clearly a lightweight*

tiggipop

Visit site
If anyone on here knows which pack they are likely to be from, perhaps they could forward the pics to the secretary.

I've come across stray odds and sods hacking back in the gloom before, but not quite as bad as this.

Meynell and south staffs were meeting at eland lodge yesterday

edited to add - I have emailed the one contact I have at mssh

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have been caught out in the dark hunting when it just all goes wrong .
MrGS has a hi viz vest in his inside pocket which I don’t think has ever been used .
The usual thing to do if you get stuck on the road is to get a a car follower to follow you with the hazards running or to get one rider to stand holding horses and the other goes for the truck with someone .

whiteflower

Visit site
I have been caught out in the dark hunting when it just all goes wrong .
MrGS has a hi viz vest in his inside pocket which I don’t think has ever been used .
The usual thing to do if you get stuck on the road is to get a a car follower to follow you with the hazards running or to get one rider to stand holding horses and the other goes for the truck with someone .

Both sound like sensible options

Bernster

Visit site
I was going to ask what people do when they get caught late hunting. If that’s what it is. My pockets wouldn’t fit a hi vis in them. I’ve never been out late on the road but Drag hunting goes on for later so it could get dark now. And never knew about losing fluorescence if you wash it!

Sandstone1

Visit site
I dont think there is any excuse to be honest.
Everyone knows what time it gets dark at this time of year.
They could have either got a lift home or asked someone in a car to accompany them with hazard lights.
Failing that even someone walking with a torch or something would have been better.
There are people working hard to get horse riders and drivers more respect and rights on the road and this just gives people who say horses shouldnt be on the road more ammunition.
It makes me so angry!
They have no respect for other road users, their horse or themselves.
They should be ashamed of themselves.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I was going to ask what people do when they get caught late hunting. If that’s what it is. My pockets wouldn’t fit a hi vis in them. I’ve never been out late on the road but Drag hunting goes on for later so it could get dark now. And never knew about losing fluorescence if you wash it!

not even a tabard or sam browne type hi vizbelt?