spots, rash, bites....

jjsblackhorse

Visit site
We have an old hunter whom we think is in his early 20's (passport says 17) he loves to live out and was working really well until the New Year when he developed what I can only describe as spots rash bites on his off side girth area a patch about a foot sq. The rash was pimples with swelling underneath the dried out and the hair fell out and is now regrowing.
The only problem is he has developed a further out break along the same side, which followed the same pattern and now he has another patch on his hindquarters same side. Also his mane and tail are coming out in chunks.
He seems happy in himself but have not been able to ride him as skin in original patch not back to normal.

Vet examination full blood tests and cushin test negative. No change in routine or diet.

Complete loss as to the cause - poor horse now has large foot abscess.
An thoughts or similar experience?

hollyandivy123

Visit site
i am guessing that he has a skin infection, if no rug then probably similar to rain scold, but if he has a rug then maybe due to overheating. that and the fact he has a foot abscess suggests he might not be getting all the basic vitamins and minerals that is required for an active immune system. i good broad spectrum vit no need to go fancy and linseed probably will see him turn around. i use to give mine procell over the winter, just that bit extra on coat change, the extra requirements sometimes can take out the older model

jjsblackhorse

Visit site
Hi thanks for the reply. I thought skin infection the vet did scrapping's and found nothing. Feeding Thunderbrook feeds so gets linseed the base mix is formulated to provide everything. The vet was wondering if it was a food allergy.