spotty lips, bleeding, HELP?

giveitago

Visit site
I have a 6y/o piebadl lw cob, which i bought in May with 5 star vetting, he's a super boy.

Last month I noticed a patch on his face that he had been rubbing, first thought was ringworm but wasnt positive as the patch was rectangular and just on his cheek bone, about an inch long, 1/2 inch wide. His nose/lips also looked a bit spotty, a bit like sunburn.- he has a black face and nose.

Vet said it was ringworm and I used aloe vera as an anti fungal twice a day , cleaned all buckets, tack etc. It didnt go away till I left it completely alone and moved him to a different paddock. It cleared and I assumed he may have been eating a Douglas fir tree that had caused these itchy bits and the nose thing. He is cobby by nature too and does forage amongst the nettles, thorns etc.

However, it has come up again, in exactly the same place, same size, bit itchy, bit crusty. The peice on his cheek is just hard skin with no hair on it but his lips have little spots around them. I noticed today that two of the spots were bleeding. I dont think it's his foraging as there arnt any scratches.

I've had a read up on poisonous plants, buttercups etc, bot flies and looked through all the vet piccies I can find but I just dont know what this is. I dont really want to get the vet out again as I still owe him the £75.00 for the last visit.

We have 5 horses and he shares a paddock with my Tb which is completely unaffected.

Any ideas??

I have a picture on my phone but I'll have to wait till my daughter gets home from school so she can upload it :D.

china

Visit site
its a type of herpees i think, my horse gets them but his dont bleed but i read they were a type of herpees.

giveitago

Visit site
ah, you are looking at the papilloma virus which is basically a wart.

Yep, maybe, but the first batch disappeared not fell off and now he has them again it doesnt sound like pappiloma as usually you only have one burst of warts as the body then produces an immune response...

I'm still looking and found an American term of Dew poisoning...could be. Does anyone know anything more about this?

china

Visit site
i read an article a while ago about lesions on the mouth but thinking about it it may not have been herpes, not much help haha!
this is the thread i made about mine a while ago.