Spreading ashes on grazing land?

monkeybum13

Visit site
Slightly odd question on behalf of a friend. If equine ashes have been spread on grazing land is it safe to then graze horses on the land? How long should be left before horses are turned out on the grass? Or is it a big no no? Any other advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

wimble

Visit site
I can't see it's a problem. Ashes are used as fertiliser, anyway. So long as it's not too thick on the ground it should be fine.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I would think you could turn them out more or less immediately. There won't be that much and it will blow away anyway.

You are not quite right on thinking there won't be much ash.

I had a much loved Welsh D cremated and asked for his ashes to be returned with a view to scattering them in his favourite paddock. He was 16hh.

I was stunned when the ashes arrived in a huge hessian sack that took 2 of us to lift. Scattering was out of the question, not so much based on other grazing stock but on the fact we would be plastered trying to do it. I was disappointed, we are hunting people and had planned to have 'gone away' blown as we did his ashes as a tribute to what had been a fabulous hunter.

In the end my husband dug a 10" grave, under the oak where the old boy use to shelter, which we lined with shavings and then put the ashes in the grave removing them from the sack at ground level, I put his old rug over the ashes and my husband filled the grave in.

It wasn't quite the romantic farewell I had planned, but 'gone away' was blown and now, some 5 years after his death, I walk past his grave and say hello to him every morning.

monkeybum13

Visit site
Said pony was a little underweight 12.2 so I shouldn't think there would be too much ash.

Sorry to hear things didn't go to plan AdorableAlice but at least you can still say hello to him.

Littlelegs

Visit site
We scattered friends sec d on the field resting for hay at the time around spring time, was a huge heavy sack & had to use an old feed scoop.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Your little urn would have a handful of ashes in it, not all of him !

I choose to have my Welsh Cob, Evan Jones, cremated alone and they sent all of his ashes back. I too, imagined a shoebox size urn coming back, rather than a huge sack. By the way, a huge bill accompanied the huge sack.

Most equine crem's will put several horses in together unless you ask for individual service.

BeanyG

Visit site
When I first moved my horses onto a rented field, the lady that owned it had just had her two Shetlands cremated and decided to scatter them without telling me ( I would have fenced them off if I had known) there was a patch off ashes covering a good few metres with quite a thick covering which took at least a month and a half to not be really visible, about two months before you could only see them close up. I caught my lad having a hood sniff a few times but they generally stayed away, hope that helps
N&F

Dab

Visit site
The ashes for my boy turned up in a huge sack inside a very large box (16h2 TB). I put the sack in the wheel barrow and walked around the paddocks spreading the ashes over his favourite sun-bathing spots, also using a feed scoop. The neighbours horses and my shetland all lined the fence at a respectable distance and watched closely whist i did this....it was a fitting tribute.

The ashes were only visible for a few days, the shetland keep clear of them during that time.

Last edited: