Spreading muck on fields

meleeka

Visit site
If I spread a well rotted dung heap on the fields, how long would I need to rest it before grazing it? Obviously it wouldn't be done yet, just getting ideas.

JillA

Visit site
I have mine spread after the hay has been harvested and rest it until autumn, depends on how much rain there has been to wash it in but I would say about three months

PorkChop

Visit site
It does depend on the time of year and the weather, but I would leave for 4-6 months. Obviously the more rain the quicker the time really.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
If muck is WELL stacked (my main stack is at LEAST 6' high at any time) and well compacted, it becomes incredibly hot inside which will destroy worms/eggs quite quickly. (When we break our up in the summer it regularly actually starts burning with flame.) If spread, the temperature needs to go below zero - or over at least 25 C to kill tyhem. Three months will finish the vast majority off - and a good population of pheasants/partridges etc helps too!

Goldenstar

Visit site
My muck is well rotted when it's spread by that I mean the youngest muck on the heap is well over two years .
I then rest the field four to five months .

meleeka

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Most of this dungheap is very old. It used to to a good job of rotting away to next to nothing but I stupidly got my friend with a digger to tidy it up last year. This has obviously disturbed it and now it's not sinking like it used to so has to go.

I did have an idea that as I have a track from Easter til Autumn, I could spread some in the middle then so it could have a good few months rest. Just one more question. Will it make the grass richer?(which I don't want really as they are natives).

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I did have an idea that as I have a track from Easter til Autumn, I could spread some in the middle then so it could have a good few months rest. Just one more question. Will it make the grass richer?(which I don't want really as they are natives).

It will obviously improve the fertility a little - and encourage the earthworms - but it doesn't act like bagged fertiliser. Spread it far and wide!

Shazzababs

Visit site
We spread directly from muck-out in the winter, directly onto the summer paddock. We use wood pellets and have a good macerating spreader which holds 2 weeks of poo.
Once its been rained on you can't even see where you have been, we have to mark the fence to indicate where the next 'stripe' should go. The last 'load' is generally about a 4 weeks before they change fields.

It does make the grass a little richer, but not as bad as chemical fertiliser. We also chain harrow fortnightly rather than poo pick when the ground is hard enough i.e. All summer and the winter paddocks once they have moved off them.

I don't have any trouble with it getting soured, and we haven't had any issues with worms.