Sprenger bow balance stirrups vs other brands and pricing?

Hels_Bells

Visit site
I have some fairly rotten knee problems at mo (like so many others!!) and in a bid to avoid surgery if possible I am doing what I can physio-wise etc and am considering getting some of the sprenger bow balance stirrup irons as I've heard they are pretty good for joint issues.

Problem is they are soooo expensive and whilst my knees are obviously important so is my bank balance!!

So just wondering what others think of these compared to other cheaper makes/versions. Is is worth shelling out extra for the sprengers or are other makes just as good?? Are the sprenger 4-way stirrups equally as good?

Also where is the most cost effective place to buy them? I have been keeping and eye on ebay but they don't seem to be coming up.

ellie_e

Visit site
I have a set of the sprenger, and a cheaper alternative, to be honest i dont really notice the different, they are much better than your standard stirrups, and the alternatives are much cheaper!

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
I have a pair of hinged stirrups from Townfield Saddlers. they cost about £25 and I LOVE THEM!!! they released the pressure from my hips almost immediately!! Townfields sold out at Burghley this year and when I asked about them they said they were the best selling product of the whole store!!

The townfield ones have 4 hinges on each side of the stirrup, and these are covered with a rubber sleeve.

They are available on line, and the shop is just outside coventry.

applestroodle

Visit site
I invested in the Sprenger bow balance a couple of years ago and havent looked back, rode a friends horse the other week in normal stirrups and it was horrible, i love mine!! :D

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I only have very mild knee issues but I hate flexi stirrups. It doesn't help you on budget but I have MDC stirrups without the hinges and love them - for flatwork I have the top eyelet at 90 degrees to the stirrup, 45 degrees for hacking and jumping. I find them really comfy and they help me to keep my toes forwards and heels feathered down.

Luci07

Visit site
HelsBels - I would suggest you borrow some Sprengers first. I agree they can be mouth wateringly expensive but I also have knees that are one more fall away from surgery and they are the only ones that helped. Other makes didn't help at all.

Left knee suffering very badly after course walking at Pulborough which I could not understand as I walk my dogs a lot. Answer came when taking all 3 out again on Sunday and it would be my boy dog leaping off to keep greeting anyone near by. Still, must a be a first in a long time to be taking painkillers for an injury that is not equine related!

blood_magik

Visit site
I can't tell the difference between my sprengers and my rhinegold flexis to be honest :rolleyes:
I save the sprengers for jumping and use the cheaper pair for flatwork.
I think they cost £40?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I only have the Sprengers and haven't tried others, but I love the Sprengers! Notice such a difference when riding in normal stirrups, they cause various bits of my legs to hurt.

D1 has the Bow Balance Sprengers and feels the same about them :cool:.

Friend, whose hip can go a bit wonky sometimes, loves the Sprengers as well (on her Christmas list I believe :D).