Sprenger bow balance stirrups

Donnie Darco

Visit site
Please help me stop spending lots of dosh!! :)

I really need *want* some stirrups (insert Sprenger bow balance stirrups here!!) that stop my knees/ankles hurting :) on long rides - and have read only good things about them relieving the pain of getting older :-o

We are only happy hackers, its not like we compete or do anything exciting, so are these stirrups only for people that compete ?? Would I be like "all the gear no idea" ?!! :-D

Or any recommendations for any other stirrups (a bit more reasonably priced!!) that would help with knee/ankle pain ? Or are sprenger bow balance (the ones I want) really the way to go ?

Please share your experiences!! :)

Thanks in advance :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I use them . I got them when I was relearning how to ride after a accident.
They make a huge difference .
In my case defiantly worth the money .
I have only recently sussed jumping in them but now I have they are helping a lot for that too.

kerilli

Visit site
i really love mine. I have 2 pairs of Bow Balance and 2 pairs of regular Sprenger bendy irons. If you want to try first, and don't mind paying postage both ways, I don't mind lending them for a few weeks, if that helps. Then you'll know if they make a difference or not. I'm not using 4 saddles at the moment so can spare a pair! Would definitely want them back though!
Price-wise, if you know anyone in Germany, get them to check prices there and send them over. I got mine pretty much half price that way...

FireFly29

Visit site
I bought mine after I had a knee op last September and I really like them.
I think its worth spending the money on them as I have heard of some of the cheaper bendy irons breaking and they are also supposed to release your foot if you fall which I don't think the cheaper ones do.
I wouldn't worry that you don't compete, I know of people with both types of sprengers who don't do much competing and no one thinks it looks odd that they have them!
Cheapest I found was Wychanger Barton Saddlery at about £130.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Worth every penny IMO. I have had mine about 18 months and I no longer get any ankle or knee pain when riding. I only hack but couldn't care less what people might think about me using them, I am happy and that is all that counts. :D

spacie1977

Visit site
How about trying some gel insoles in your riding boots first? They'd absorb the impact for A LOT less money, and you could benefit from them whilst walking around the yard and switch them with different footwear too.

sarahann1

Visit site
I *love* them! I rode my YOs horse for a while and she had them on her saddle, they are *amazing*! When I eventually get a rideable horse I will be buying a set and I'm a happy hacking/riding club wannabe :D

Foxford

Visit site
Bought them after I was diagnosed with a hip problem - but they mainly help with my ankles as I've previously sprained one and torn the ligaments in the other! All non-horse related injuried btw!! Not had them long but pleased with the effects so far - 2hr hacks not a problem.

spookypony

Visit site
I'm really interested in them, and in the idea of getting them from Germany (thanks, Kerilli, for the idea! Will be in Hamburg later in the summer!). I'm currently using a pair of the wide plasticy ones for Endurance, but am not entirely convinced of those. I think my leg stability is suffering.

Madali

Visit site
I have them. I brought them after I got dragged round under my horse when I fell off and my foot got stuck in the stirrup. Highly recommend them. I never get ankle pain.

CrazyMare

Visit site
I have two sets of the original Sprenger bendy stirrups, I adore them! Really struggle with normal stirrups now.

They are expensive, however my first set were my 16th birthday present and I'm 27 this year and I ride pretty much every day

becca1305

Visit site
Totally worth the £££. Stay on your foot well, lovely wide treads and no more painful dodgy ankle/knee that even used to carry on hurting hours after finishing riding. Really notice the difference on landing from jumps and if horse jinks/spooks quickly and your weight gets thrown down one leg, much more shock absorbing.

JC1

Visit site
Definitely worth the money. I have had both knees operated on and broken one ankle. I wouldn't be able to do a days hunting without them.

Nicnac

Visit site
Now I've discovered them I wouldn't ride in anything else. Knee pain - gone; hip - needs a replacement which isn't going to change but the SBB stirrups have made a huge difference in that I can dismount after riding rather than requiring help to push my leg over the saddle!

Worth every penny imo.

Donnie Darco

Visit site
Kerilli - THANK YOU so much for your v kind offer!!! Sorry I couldn't reply yesterday (computer issues😕) However I might need man size irons (I have BIG feet😊) Not casting aspersions of your feet size!!! 😊

Thank You everyone else for sharing your experiences 😊

It looks like I am going to order a pair 😊 - who needs money anyway??!!!

Thank you all again!! You are all lovely!!

DDx

Donnie Darco

Visit site
Just ordered some!!! Needed cheering up!!!!

From Rideaway and got 20% off!!! (thanks again to HHO in another thread!!!)

Should be here tomo! Yay!! :)

Thank you all again!!

jo2507

Visit site
Hmm, now I am wondering will these help me

I struggle with my left leg always feels longer than right (problem I am still trying to resolve stretches and massage) but as I get pain in the knee and ankle feels stiffer on the left these migh help.

Just mentioned to OH and said they are expensive I won't type his response so may have to sneek this purchase through