Spring grass

melissa1971

Visit site
I've never had a horse that's been too bothered by spring grass before but my daughters pony that we got last summer over the last few weeks has turned into a spooky nervous pony I'm worried for my daughter riding her and am guessing it's the grass, I've put her in the little starvation paddock with my lami Shetland so my question is how long does the effects of the sting grass normally last when would she no ok to go back out on it, thanks

maccachic

Visit site
You are feeding ad lib hay right while on starvation paddock? Im sure you are but just incase.

Get some salt into them it sorts grass issues pretty quickly by flushing potassium from the system, high potassium affect magnesium absorption. Start with 10g/100kg body weight and leave loose salt in the paddock for them to help themselves.

Potassium spikes when the grass is stressed (overgrazed / drought etc) or rapidly growing as in spring.

Mike007

Visit site
Start your pony on a magnesium suplement such as magnitude. Do it tomorrow ,dont wait.Salt is completely irrelevant.

mudmonkey17

Visit site
My mare is exactly the same. If she goes out in the daytime for around 8 hours she is fine but if turn her out overnight and in during day she is a nightmare and a lot more spooky.

maccachic

Visit site
Start your pony on a magnesium suplement such as magnitude. Do it tomorrow ,dont wait.Salt is completely irrelevant.

You need to ask yourself why you are supplementing magnesium - just because its what everyone else does doesn't make it necessary. Excess minerals is not good for an animal and you run the risks of enteriths. So when adding supplements you need to look at why.

melissa1971

Visit site
Thanks, yes she's getting plenty of hay I have started adding meg ox but not seen a difference yet I will try salt ( normal table salt???) and see if that helps thanks for any help

melissa1971

Visit site
She has been coming in through day so maybe I'll swap to her coming in at night again see if it helps willing to try anything