Springer needs a busier life

quirky

Visit site
Somebody at work has a Springer that underwent police training and passed all tests apart from when he found something, he didn't leave it alone, he'd paw it.

He has had him two years, the dog is five.
The dog will curl his lips and growl if approached when eating his food. He is getting worse with this. He lives with a Collie quite happily, they are fed seperately.

Bloke thinks dog would be better suited to a working home, his walks currently consist of him fetching a ball and tearing round the school playing fields. He doesn't have the time or knowledge to work this dog himself.

He is loathe to give to a charity as they have plenty of dogs as it is.
How can he ensure, as much as you can, that this dog goes to somebody who has the knowledge to work and look after him.
He doesn't necessarily want to advertise him but will if he knows where he will get the right audience.

So, anybody have any suggestions as to how this dog can be rehomed to a suitable home?

I haven't seen the food issue but have met the dog and he seems a real sweety.

Inthemud

Visit site
He could try contacting one of the breed clubs or a rescue organisation specific to that breed.

They could advise how he might meet his dog's needs better. Failing that, they may know of suitable people to rehome to.

Could he try agility, fly ball, obedience etc. to get the dog's brains worked a bit more?

Has he contacted a trainer or a behaviourist to deal with the growling?

Spudlet

Visit site
He could speak to this organisation: http://www.caessr.org.uk/

I think they work with a gundog trainer so could assess him to see if he is suitable, then perhaps do a home to home rehoming as opposed to taking the dog away? Might be worth an ask, anyway.:)

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
He could try contacting one of the breed clubs or a rescue organisation specific to that breed.

They could advise how he might meet his dog's needs better. Failing that, they may know of suitable people to rehome to.

Could he try agility, fly ball, obedience etc. to get the dog's brains worked a bit more?

Has he contacted a trainer or a behaviourist to deal with the growling?

I agree re agility/flyball etc. The dog sounds highly intelligent and requires an equally intelligent (in dog behaviour) and energetic take-no-**** sort of owner!:D

quirky

Visit site
I agree re agility/flyball etc. The dog sounds highly intelligent and requires an equally intelligent (in dog behaviour) and energetic take-no-**** sort of owner!:D
You're right, he is intelligent. I'm not sure this bloke is entirely up to this Springer's needs. He did have one previously who wasn't quite as switched on as this one!