Sprinter Sacre ?

bonny

Visit site
On a hopefully brighter point than the whip thread, He's back tomorrow, weather permitting....would be amazing to see that he's still invincible but I have my doubts. Any predictions ?

KautoStar1

Visit site
Hopefully a clean round of jumping & to see him finish well would be the best outcome. A win would be asking a lot. And as it has been proved many times, those that last season after season at the very top are rare indeed.
He was very exuberant on his race course work out at Newbury so there is a chance he might blow himself out with excitement.

popsdosh

Visit site
I think anything less than a win would be a major anti climax after all this time off ...

Dont think you would see him unless hes 100% fit! lets face it at 75% he could have beaten most!
Been a huge fan since the first time I saw him at the yard!

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I cant wait to see him, we wont know until tomorrow whether he is the SS of old, I would love to see him win but as long as he puts in a clear round and shows some of his old enthusiasm that will do for me regardless of where he finishes.

Madam Min

Visit site
I cant wait to see him, we wont know until tomorrow whether he is the SS of old, I would love to see him win but as long as he puts in a clear round and shows some of his old enthusiasm that will do for me regardless of where he finishes.
^^^^^^^^
This! Stunning horse!

Clodagh

Visit site
I can't watch it, we are shooting. OH refused to reschedule shoot day for me. Oh to have a posh phone!
I hope he wins, I really do, but to finish safe and sound isthe whole thing. Such a stunning horse.

Brummyrat

Visit site
Going to record it as I'll be out too, so excited but also really nervous, as long as he gets a clear round and comes back safe then I'll be happy.

KautoStar1

Visit site
Well assuming he comes out of the race ok I think connections will be pleased with that. He jumped fine & seemed to be enjoying it. Just needed a run & he will be better on better ground no doubt. However the Champ chase is wide open now.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Brummyrat, READ NO FURTHER!! :) I don't want to spoil a good race!

A good race, the winner deserved his place and I'm wondering if SC didn't 'need' that race. Was he race rusty? Possibly, but as his trainer said, it was the horse of old, he just ran out of steam.

I'm not one for 'spoiling' horses, but I suspect that, dependent upon the company, he has more to offer yet!

Alec.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I was really pleased with that, he clearly needed the race but having over a year off he was entitled to run out of petrol, come March we will see the finished article Im sure but if all the participants turn up then it could well be the race of the festival.

Anyone going to predict the winner in March, I'm really taken with the Irish horse Special Tiara but haven't made my mind up yet.

Visit site
A bleed would suggest that that is why he had no answer for Dodging Bullets and it would also suggest that he needed the run, even after a racecourse gallop nothing really prepares you for a race until a race itself. SS will come on a country mile for the run. Cheltenham will be exciting that's for sure!

bonny

Visit site
A bleed would suggest that that is why he had no answer for Dodging Bullets and it would also suggest that he needed the run, even after a racecourse gallop nothing really prepares you for a race until a race itself. SS will come on a country mile for the run. Cheltenham will be exciting that's for sure!

Doubt this, it doesn't seem to concern his connections or the vets, sounds like just a bit of blood which is fairly normal. I was disappointed with his run, he looked and ran ok but the Sprinter Sacre of the past would have laughed at his rivals today. He's missed the year when he would probably have been at his peak and most horses don't come back the same after a year off. I suspect he will win more races if he carries on but we won't see him again as he was, which was incinvible.....

Alec Swan

Visit site
There was also a heavy fall in the(?) race. The jockey was up, as the camera left the scene, but the horse made no effort to rise. Does anyone have any news of the apparently stricken animal?

Alec.

Visit site
There was also a heavy fall in the(?) race. The jockey was up, as the camera left the scene, but the horse made no effort to rise. Does anyone have any news of the apparently stricken animal?

Alec.

If it was the last televised race then it was King Edmond and no, he did not survive unfortunately.

As an aside - Aiden Coleman has been given a 4 day ban for his Welsh National Ride.

popsdosh

Visit site
Doubt this, it doesn't seem to concern his connections or the vets, sounds like just a bit of blood which is fairly normal. I was disappointed with his run, he looked and ran ok but the Sprinter Sacre of the past would have laughed at his rivals today. He's missed the year when he would probably have been at his peak and most horses don't come back the same after a year off. I suspect he will win more races if he carries on but we won't see him again as he was, which was incinvible.....

I have to join you and I hope I am wrong ,He wasnt his old self at all ,he was fiddling a few fences and to me was not comfortable in the race like, he used to cruise. I said to a friend after 3 fences he was going to be beat. Tired or not under the race conditions he had over 20lbs in hand on any of the others which if it had been a handicap would have put him well out the back.I know the jockey never pushed him at all but was that because he did not want to over do it or because he knew he was not going under him.
To me NHs face in running told a story!
Like I say I hope I am wrong and there wont be anybody cheering him on louder at Cheltenham but it was not what I had hoped for.He did not have that sparkle and swagger of old! It was great to see him back though ,I suspect the winner coming in felt a bit like the pantomime villain as most of the crowd were only still interested by one horse.

Last edited:

popsdosh

Visit site
As an aside - Aiden Coleman has been given a 4 day ban for his Welsh National Ride.

I think the repercussions from that decision will eventually cause the whip rules to be changed again!!!
Jockey power soon has to come into play I thinks. Might as well have stewards sitting in a pub somewhere watching on TV FFS

KautoStar1

Visit site
But we should all remember he is just a horse, not a machine. Nothing is infallible.
To even get him back in race condition is amazing. I hope we see him again & that he when he runs he does himself credit but lets not forget most race horses have one brilliant season. They peak & then drop off.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I think the repercussions from that decision will eventually cause the whip rules to be changed again!!!
Jockey power soon has to come into play I thinks. Might as well have stewards sitting in a pub somewhere watching on TV FFS

I thought they already did, given what D Bridgwater had to say about his 16yr old jockey being given a 21 day ban he thinks so to.

popsdosh

Visit site
But we should all remember he is just a horse, not a machine. Nothing is infallible.
To even get him back in race condition is amazing. I hope we see him again & that he when he runs he does himself credit but lets not forget most race horses have one brilliant season. They peak & then drop off.

I was not criticising his run in any way but I am not so sure it was what they hoped for! I personally think it would be a huge ask to run in the champion chase and would not blame them if they changed targets for him perhaps going to Aintree on an easier track terrain wise and a little more time!
I really hope he proves me wrong!!

teapot

Visit site
Another glad to see him back out on a course and hope he improves further having a run, and gets that real sparkle back.

Also I wouldn't underestimate Dodging Bullets - horse in form, won on all types of ground, fab trainer and has a pick of good jockeys on top. Sprinter Sacre wasn't exactly in a comeback race in a 4.30pm at Fontwell.

Last edited: