spurs advice please

Vicki1986

Visit site
althought my pony is very forward off the leg she refuses to move away from it,

for example if she is falling out on a circle and i apply my outside leg more to stop her she defiantely rides into my leg and consequently the fence sometimes
shocked.gif

It has been suggested i use spurs rather than tensing up trying to put so much leg aid on and compromising my position.

I havent used spurs with her before.

What are peoples thoughts>? She is 12 and ive had her since march, only just started schooling her properly in the last month xx

beaconhorse

Visit site
I ride in spurs for schooling, as my horse is similar, yes he will go forwards without them BUT not active. Nelson Pessoa says horses should always be ridden in spurs.

It would certainly be worth a try. Also have you tried a whip down the outside of the shoulder, or carrying your hands a little lower to 'frame' pony so he/she can't fall out thro shoulder. both also work well

Soph83

Visit site
<span style="color:purple">You really need to keep a hold of the outside rein when she does this to try and stop her falling out through her shoulder. Maybe a tap on the outside shoulder with a whip to remind her.
With spurs there is no harm in trying them. Just make sure you get kind ones. I picked up some short rounded ones from decathlon for £5!
Just make sure you are using them correctly and they'd do no harm and it may sharpen up her responses and you won't need them for very long.

x </span>

Vicki1986

Visit site
with regards to outside rein i have tried all manner of things that different instructors have recommended... outside rein supporting, hands lower, hand higher, hand slightly inwards, sqeezing the rein all sorts!

whip doesnt really work and i dont tap her with the whip unless she is really playing up as it just gives a negative response (she is very whip-sensitive and just shoots off or bucks) that used to work for an old pony i rode but she just wont have it

Kelly1982

Visit site
I school in spurs all the time!! My horse is only 4yo and even though she is very forward going i find that it backs up my leg aids and she responds better.

I would rather ask her once with spurs than keep nagging at her without and making her dead to my leg.

I only started using them on the advice of my instructor though and have found that they have really helped with our schooling and now half the time i only have to tense my leg and she picks up so dont even have to touch her with them that much.

I have only got little ones though, they are probably about half an inch long. I got them ones as i hadn't really used spurs before so didn't want to get nothing too harsh. You can also get ones with rounded ends which i was going to get for my old horse as he had really sensative skin.

Vicki1986

Visit site
if i use them they will be the smallest ones possible as i am relatively beginner with them!

all the positives of using spurs sound good but is there any adverse effects? other than using them heavily and doing damage which im not about to do seen a horse bleed from over use of spurs i think its disgusting!

not_with_it

Visit site
It sounds more of a schooling issue to me. You could try using the spurs but in your situation I dont know if they will have any effect. Ride lots of turns using your seat to get him to turn.

As for doing damage to to horse this is unlikely to happen if your lower leg is secure and you arent constanly scraping them along your horses side. Some horses are thin skined but if you see any marks after using them then just simply stop.

Vicki1986

Visit site
Yes it is a schooling issue, but its not getting any better and i feel that letting her fall out constantly and ride into my leg as opposed to away from it is teaching her wrongly? i dont know how else to stop her falling into my leg the more pressure i apply, applying the leg &amp; seat correctly does nothing

beaconhorse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
with regards to outside rein i have tried all manner of things that different instructors have recommended... outside rein supporting, hands lower, hand higher, hand slightly inwards, sqeezing the rein all sorts!

whip doesnt really work and i dont tap her with the whip unless she is really playing up as it just gives a negative response (she is very whip-sensitive and just shoots off or bucks) that used to work for an old pony i rode but she just wont have it

[/ QUOTE ]

YES SHE WILL if you make her!! My own lad can be an ignorant s*d. he will either ignore the whip completely, shoot off, or buck depending on what mood he is in. however if I persist in using it he eventually responds as he SHOULD DO.
What she is doing is evading the whip and that needs to stop!

Sorry if that sounds harsh but trust me otherwise she will soon find a way to evade the spurs too

Judie

Visit site
As you've admitted it's a schooling issue, basically she isn't off your leg, although she is forward going, that is of her choice but when you actually put your leg on she is ignoring it so isn't 'off' the leg. I would, before you go down the spur route, try lots of latural work, (usefulf for SJ as well as dressage), ride on a small circle and leg yeild out, making sure they are true side stepping steps and not just falling through the shoulder, out onto a bigger circle, do this on both reins and you firstly find her stiffer side and secondly will highlight any areas in your own riding that you need to address, then do it from the centre line back to the track and build up to four steps to the left, four to the right up the centre line, use your whip just behind your lower leg if she ignores you, ride shoulder in down the long sides and make sure she is in your outside rein and you don't just have inside bend.

If you have too much inside bend through the neck on your circle you will actively encourage her to fall out through the shoulder and she won't be able to help you correct it, the bend, flexion, whatever you want to call it must come from your inside leg to your outside hand and the latural work will help with all this in a big way.

Good luck

Vicki1986

Visit site
But i dont want to smack her all the time i want to do a circle ?!
She gets really upset if you use a whip on her in the school because she doesnt understand what your asking of her so gets in a tizz.
i dont think shes evading the whip as i sometimes have to back up my leg whip a quick tap when im jumping and she's cool with that as jumping wise she knows her job on the flat she doesnt

johnsongreyhorse

Visit site
I had this problem with my youngster, my instructor got me to ride to the fench, halt, then ask him to move away from said leg, if he didn't (or in my case moving into leg) (if not moving away from left leg go into corner so can only go right) give 3 sharp smacks (can't shoot forward because of fench) he soon got the idea and sidestepped along fench, this exercise worked brill to get him to move away from leg on circles etc., sorry if not too clear :) I haven't used spurs so can't comment

Judie

Visit site
I'm sorry but I don't agree with your instructor using this method on a young horse, it is our job to educate the horse, not simply block it's path and smack it when to go forwards is the most natural thing to do, how the hell does a young horse know to go sideways, which down the fence line is very steep if you don't teach it slowly and sympathically - sorry not having a go at you but it makes me cross when 'instructors' want a quick result.....
confused.gif

Vicki1986

Visit site
haha dont think i will be trying that one ive already been rammed through the fence on one occasion! typical chestnut mare!!
thanks TOG they are some good ideas there that will no doubt help although most are too advanced for us at this stage but hopefully we can progress up to that. leg yeilding on a circle we can just about manage when shes in a good mood!!

its just frustrating sometimes, i just want to be able to trot and canter a 20m that is round and circle shaped god dammit!!

Judie

Visit site
Vic they aren't 'advanced' movements, they are basic movements you should be using all the time with your jumping, think about how you straighten infront of a jump, you put one leg on to move her over and hold her with the other leg etc etc, keep working at them and once you've got the leg yeilding in walk on a circle, try it in trot and then canter, it's bloody hard I won't lie to you but the results are worth it and you will always hit your jumps right, promise!

pixiebee

Visit site
i would say its up to you and how confident you feel using spurs, they are great in the correct hands(or feet should i say!). remember when riding in the to keep your toes turned in so they are only effective if you turn your toes out slightly so that you are not using the spur constantly, use them as back up but always ask with your heel first, then if no response, turn your toes out slightly and ask with the spurs,when falling out of a circle, turn your outside toe out so the spur is reminding her to move away from your leg but make sure your inside spur is off her side, if you see what i mean!!

Bossanova

Visit site
I would try plenty of turns on the forehand, leg yielding along the fence line (turn her nose into the fence and she has to move off your outside leg as has nowhere else to go) and progress to 1/4 walk pirouettes and spiralling in/out on a circle.
Spurs would be my last resort as they arent curing the schooling issue, simply giving a stronger aid.

Stella

Visit site
I ride mine in spurs for the same sort of reason. She is better with them, but will still ignore me at times
crazy.gif
I'm really interested inb Nelson Pessoa saying that we should always ride in spurs! Does he say why?

miniemy

Visit site
Hi babe

Yes lots and lots of lateral work in walk to start with. Megs was the same and we used this to gain control of her shoulder and supple her. Also try some outside bend on a circle.

I would also try the use of some small spurs it helped me a lot. You need to ensure your position is correct and if spurs help you rather than compromise your position then all good in my opinion.

I have some you can borrow in you need them.

Em x