Spurs

greyconemara88

New User
Visit site
Hello,
I have had my connemara for nearly a year now. He is safe and easy to do in in every way and that to me makes him worth his weight in gold! However, ive been wanting to step up a level as he is more then capable but him being a little sluggish is holding us back. Ive tried feeding him up, hunting etc etc and i feel i am having to use my whip too much to get him more forward. Hes not in pain or anything... Just a bit lazy and likes to take the piss!!!
My trainer reccomended i try a pair of spurs, whats everyones thoughts on this? If you agree, what type would you suggest? Ive never used them before but i have a secure lower leg.
Some suggestions would be appreciated xxx

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Are you sure there's nothing amiss? People always say, a sound horse rarely refuses to go forward for no reason at all and so far I've found it to be true (unfortunately for me). I suppose spurs would tell you what you need to know in the short term? You could give it a go and if he's more forward, problem solved.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Hello,
I have had my connemara for nearly a year now. He is safe and easy to do in in every way and that to me makes him worth his weight in gold! However, ive been wanting to step up a level as he is more then capable but him being a little sluggish is holding us back. Ive tried feeding him up, hunting etc etc and i feel i am having to use my whip too much to get him more forward. Hes not in pain or anything... Just a bit lazy and likes to take the piss!!!
My trainer reccomended i try a pair of spurs, whats everyones thoughts on this? If you agree, what type would you suggest? Ive never used them before but i have a secure lower leg.
Some suggestions would be appreciated xxx

Hi - second what Tallyho said - if you do decide to try spurs the "comb" type are a good starting point - you just brush the horse's side with them - might be enough to encourage him forward without the need for anything stronger - works for my mare when she is in one of her "challenging" moods (which are not that often now - touch wood) 🙂

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Agree with above horses are not generally lazy for no reason, I would be looking to see if anything in physically wrong before opting for spurs, and spurs are not really used for that reason they are used to give a more accurate sharper aid, you should only use spurs once your horse is forward and off your leg.

A lot of horses will also learn to ignore a leg aid if the rider is not using the leg effectively enough.

How do you use your leg aids?