Squamous cell carcinoma and penile amputation- advice please

vickyj86

New User
Visit site
Hi
My 24 yr old cob was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma on his penis yesterday - 2 tumours that were hidden until he was sedated and dropped everything. He is fit and well otherwise. Vet has given me only one option of full amputation and re route of urethra done at Ashbrook hospital. Sounds like a major recovery for his age. I have asked if we could go for partial amputation and leave him with a stump so recovery might be easier but I feel backed into a corner by the vet. I only want to do the best for him.
They also only want me to use only use Ashbrook when I would prefer him to go to Leahurst.
Any advise much appreciated please. Thanks.

be positive

Visit site
I have no experience of the condition, although did lose a horse that had it in his eye, but do have experience of vets not listening to their client so I would say if you want to explore other options then do so, don't feel backed into a corner by your vet, contact Leahurst if that is your preferred practice and arrange for a second opinion, it may delay things for a few days but will make you more comfortable with whichever decision you make.

Hope it all goes well.

Visit site
It depends how high up and how far in the problem goes. We had one at work years ago that had a partial amputation. Not too long for recovery and no further problems. At 24yo I would seriously consider not going for the full refit as it is major surgery. Can you get a second opinion?

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
My old boy Puzzle had this condition, and was about the same age. Vet discussed the surgery, but because of various other conditions, we decided against it. I am sorry I cant offer any useful advice, but just wanted to say, dont be bullied by a vet, take advice for sure, but trust your own instict too. X

TheBigPony

Visit site
It sounds like you need to get a second opinion. Did you ask why they wanted you to use Ashbrook rather than Leahurst? Vet practices seem to be joining together these days and therefore want to refer within the vet group to keep the money within the overall group - could this be the case here?

scats

Visit site
My gelding had a partial phallectomy at Leahurst when he was 16. It removed about 90% of the lesions and then we treated the remaining topically. The operation was straight forward, he had 48 hours box rest and was back out in the field after that. Bit of swelling but no major discomfort, at least nothing that a bit of Bute couldn’t sort.

He was left with a little stump. I did it to give him quality of life over quantity and not have to go through major surgery and a potentially distressing recovery.

I wouldn’t do a full en bloc at 24. Seek a second opinion.

racebuddy

Visit site
My friends had half
Of her horses penis off , if you would prefer to
Go to leahurst then request a referal to leahurst ,
You are the clinet at the end of the day ,
I had to get another vets
Out to my horse as
Own vets refused to refer mime to leahurst because they wamted the money !! Pm if u would prefer

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I am another with experience of vets wanting to treat, just because they can. I am sorry but at 24, I wouldn't want my horse to have any kind of surgery. Was he showing symptoms, or was he sedated for something else?

Absolutely agree with this. At that age, for me, it would be neither place and neither operation.

The only case I have ever heard in detail about had the operation and then immediately developed pemphigus, an auto immune disease. It seems the horse had a genetic predisposition to it which the stress of the operation caused to become active.

meleeka

Visit site
I’ve only heard of one having this and it didn’t end well. Sorry :(

You are the client and as such are entitled to go where you choose so by all means get your referral to the place of your choice. If it were my horse, I’d assume he has a couple of years of natural life left and base your decision on whether it’s worth putting him through the treatment recommended for those two years (of course he may well live much longer, but at 23 I think you have to consider how many good years he would have if successful and balance that against the trauma of the surgery). Personally I wouldn’t entertain a full phalectomy in any age. How bad are the symptoms?

Pumpkinbum

Visit site
our beautiful boy had this at 22. we chose to not put him through surgery and spoilt him for his last few weeks until he was not happy to go out in the field days, then he got a goodbye hug and let go to sleep. I couldn't see him go through the risks of surgery at his age.
don't let vet bully into surgery unless it's what you want and where you want.
hugs for the heartache. xx

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
at 24 I wouldn't do it.

at 19 we found Frank's and my vet really didn't want to do even a partial amputation (he did his own horse at 18 but it had spread), we successfully treated it with chemo cream and liquid nitrogen using a protocol from liverpool on the second try but the lesions were small.
The lesions returned about 9 months ago (now 25) and currently are not causing him any discomfort, once they do he will be PTS, there would be absolutely no question of operating on him now even for a partial removal.

SusieT

Visit site
I'd definitely consider a partial amputation - it sa fairly minor job in the scheme of things - I'd go to whichever referral vet I felt omfortable with.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm sorry, I wouldn't call any procedure requiring a general anaesthetic, never mind in an older horse, a 'minor job'

scats

Visit site
I'm sorry, I wouldn't call any procedure requiring a general anaesthetic, never mind in an older horse, a 'minor job'

No, but in comparison to the full resection, it’s a relatively minor procedure in terms of the recovery process and possible side effects (anaesthetic aside, of course, which is always a concern with an older horse).

OP- I do have the photos of the before and after of a partial if you want to see.

DressageCob

Visit site
I would get a second opinion. You obviously aren't happy with what you have been told/the options so far. From the hospitals you have mentioned, I assume you're more or less in my neck of the woods. I use Nantwich vets who are excellent. You can either find another vet to examine or contact Leahurst direct and see if you can self-refer.

I'm not sure what I'd do if it were my horse, beyond getting another vet's opinion.

Allykat

Visit site
Definitely get a second opinion. Our old boy had a lesion removed over 4 years ago at the age of 24. This turned out to be squamous cell carcinoma. Because the margins around the lesion were clear we decided to leave it at that. Surgery was not an option in any capacity. Vets advised that lesions may return or it may spread and we were prepared. To this day he's not had a return of anything sinister and has not had any problems there. He's 28 now and sadly other problems means he won't be here by winter but definitely get a second opinion and don't be ruled on what to do.