Squeeeeee I think Ive found him!!!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I've found a rising 3 (in May) year old cob type who already stands at 16.1 (seen pics etc, he's huge!!). He's piebald, mainly black. Bought By current owner as a weanling but she now doesn't ride (they breed Welsh) so she wants him to go on to do more. He's being gelded and I could have him a few weeks after that. He's had very little handling etc but from pics/videos he's friendly enough. I prefer them not messed with than overhandled anyway.
He's currently very woolly and wide as he is tall!!! His dam is 14.1 and sire 15.2 so no-one knows where his size has come from. He's expected to make 16.3+.
Only problem is he's a 7 hour round trip and other people are interested. I feel sick every time someone else asks about him, I'm tempted to pay the deposit and take a chance 🙈😱
ETA: She's just measured him and he's closer to 15.1 than 16.1...not sure how I feel about that now 😥

Last edited:

CMcC

Visit site
Oh dear, I want to give you sensible advice: it would be foolish to put a deposit down on a horse you haven’t been to see. But depending on how much of a deposit they want and if you are prepared to lose it if it was me and it felt right from pictures talking to owner I would probably go for it. But I am impulsive and while 80% of my impulse decisions work out well 20% don’t! Good luck.

moodymare_1993

Visit site
Go and see him, you’ll know if you like him. Are you immensely tall? Why do you ‘have’ to have a large horse? I know some people prefer them but if he is a cob type, he will take up your leg.

Reactions: JJS

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Not sure how I feel now as he's nearly a hand shorter than she thought. :(
You've sold on a horse before that you didn't think was big enough, despite folk assuring you that you looked fine on him. If you want a big horse, buy a big horse, but remember that sellers are often way out in their estimation of a horse's height.

When I saw the the title I presumed you'd already seen seen him and made an offer. Steady yourself a bit, but you will indeed need to act quickly if you see one you like, even if that means travelling.

Visit site
15.1hh at 3yo in a cob type? Good grass and good food will bring him up 16hh easy by the time he is 5yo. Plus you will also have the width and depth which will make him rider bigger.

Reactions: JJS

ihatework

Visit site
I suppose the question is why have you been looking at a large chunky type?

If because very tall then you might find a 16hh cob is absolutely fine.

If it’s because you need a weight carrier then you might need to ask yourself what sort of weight would be fair to be backing this horse with (even if he might be suitable once fully mature)

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
remember that sellers are often way out in their estimation of a horse's height.

I don't believe that. I think that a seller who advertises a horse as being X hands high when in reality it is X-1 hands high is simply lying.

Measuring the height of a horse is not exactly rocket surgery.

If it's a horse that is nigh on impossible to catch or won't stand still, you just take a photo of it next to a fixed object, like a fence or tree, take measurements from the object, and calculate the animal's height. Then you advertise it as "estimated to be X hands high".

Visit site
I don't believe that. I think that a seller who advertises a horse as being X hands high when in reality it is X-1 hands high is simply lying.

If it's a horse that is nigh on impossible to catch or won't stand still, you just take a photo of it next to a fixed object, like a fence or tree, take measurements from the object, and calculate the animal's height. Then you advertise it as "estimated to be X hands high".

But then you get the people that insist that everything is either 16hh or 16.2hh and there's no other heights! A big one might be 17hh at a push! This includes a 14.1hh that was sold as a small 16hh ... luckily the people that came to see it expected in to be smaller than 16hh so weren't annoyed or put off by the drastic height difference...

Leo Walker

Visit site

They are lying to themselves more than anything. I am always more surprised when a sellers height is accurate than I am when its not. I'd say 75% of people have no idea how big their horse really is.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thanks once again for the replies..just to clarify a couple of things..
Yes I'm tall, just under 6ft with 34" inside leg. I never weigh under 12.5 st at best as I look daft.
I prefer big horses because of this but also because I have fibromyalgia and find shorter horses more choppy in their stride which is very uncomfortable for me. Plus to be honest I'm used to alot of horse under and in front of me, it feels more natural/comfortable for me. Its not just what I look like on a horse, its what I feel like. I 'look' fine on my friends wide 14.3, maybe a little big but I 'feel' ridiculous...esp as her has a short neck.
Last but not least I just prefer something 16.2+...in the same way some people like smaller types, it's a personal preference?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'm really torn...if he was already a 16/16.1 adult I would definitely take a look but I'm not sure if I can take the risk that he may not make height, esp given the size of his parents. It's disappointing and frustrating :(
I'm not terribly concerned about travelling...I'll go most places for the right horse as long as I have chance to get there. This seller is on a first come first served sort of basis.