Squeeeeee I think Ive found him!!!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Do NOT buy a 3yr old needing it to grow. It might, it might not though. The ones I needed to grow never did!

Agree. If he was 16h i'd say go for it, but if hes 15h now he may not grow any more, you never know. I have friend who bought 14.2 2yr old wanting it to reach 15.2 and they never even reached 14.3, yet parents were both 15.2. Another friend had a similar problem and sold it. Barely grew a inch from 2 - 4 years old, she was gutted as spent a lot on it. I took a gamble on my welsh but he was local and cheap, funnily enough he was for sale as the owner didn't think he'd reach 15 hands. He was a ugly scrawny duckling 3 years old at 14hh when I bought him, the vet said she guaranteed he wouldn't make over 14.2 so I even considered selling but something silly of me decided to keep him and hes now 15.2 at 7 years old! His parents were only 14.3 so it is possible but a big gamble.

It would also make me wary if she said hes 16 hands and suddenly hes 15 hands. Thats a longgg drive, imagine getting there and hes 14 hands. Is there nothing even a few hours closer? Don't rush into it, something will come along.

jnb

Visit site
I bought my baby show cob at 149cm, aged barely 3 - he was officially measured by JMB 2 years later at 152.8cm but my eye says he is bigger however I'm 5ft7 and inside leg 31-32" and definitely don't look too tall on him - my feet in the stirrups are way above the bottom of his tum.
Most people think their horse is bigger than they really are. almost everyone I've asked about my cob says he's a good 15.2-3hh but he really isn't.
You can't beat a good cob! I bought mine from a video in Ireland, nowt wrong with it - my gut told me not to walk away (& he wasn't cheap!)

Attachments

• 43190888484_16b56379f1_o (1).jpg
    43190888484_16b56379f1_o (1).jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
This is why I always take a measuring stick with me when viewing horses (I even took one to Spain); it's not necessarily lying - most people have no idea how tall their horse is. And the Law of Sod says that if you want it to grow, it won't: if you need it to stay small, it'll end up huge!

Goldenstar

Visit site
This is why I always take a measuring stick with me when viewing horses (I even took one to Spain); it's not necessarily lying - most people have no idea how tall their horse is. And the Law of Sod says that if you want it to grow, it won't: if you need it to stay small, it'll end up huge!

Agree many people don’t know how tall their horses are .
Strange when your selling a horse you think it would be an obvious thing to work out .

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site

Annagain

Visit site
I've messaged them, thank you!! :)

Person ally I don't understand why people don't measure horses before selling. I'm bad at guessing as I always think horses are smaller than they are. My friend was selling a horse that was 15.2 but I guessed her at about 14.3 lol 😳🙄
I think it's because I'm so tall...anything under 16.2 looks small to me lol.
I think it's a mixture of laziness, just going with what they were told when they bought the horse, not having a stick and, within reason, it not mattering that much! We've been guilty of this. My friend is a selling her kids' pony. He was sold to us (we look after our 3 between the 2 of us so I think of T as mine too - I adore the little monkey) as 13hh and we've always gone with that as we've had no reason to have to find out. He only does pony club and local shows so it doesn't matter. We never thought he'd make a jumping or showing pony so haven't needed to measure him accurately. We then had someone ask whether he'd ever measure in at 128cm and we had to say we really didn't know as we don't have a stick and have never measured him, we just stuck to what we were told when we bought him!

They came to seem him anyway as they weren't far away, the 9 yr old riding him jumped him over 1m within 20 minutes of sitting on him (he's never jumped this big with us as his rider is quite nervous!) They forgot their stick though so with a bit of improvisation with a whip and a tape measure decided he was 130cm with shoes on. He might measure down without shoes, with a proper stick and if he gets used to being measured (he's a worrier and definitely grew a bit when he didn't know what was going on!) They loved him so are coming back to try again and hack him out next weekend.

This is the first time an accurate height for him has really mattered so we've just never done it before.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'm still debating going to see this boy...and maybe doing the string test on him?
He looks babyish in the pics so I'm thinking he has alot of growing still to do....I wish he was closer but I'm wondering if I should go see him, even if it's just to get him out of my head??

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm still debating going to see this boy...and maybe doing the string test on him?
He looks babyish in the pics so I'm thinking he has alot of growing still to do....I wish he was closer but I'm wondering if I should go see him, even if it's just to get him out of my head??

Where is he? There must be someone local who can go and do a string test and measure him for you

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Sadly I don't know anyone in the area :(
His Dad is built like an absolute tank so I'm starting to think that at 15.2 aged 2 years, 8 months that it's very possible he'll get to 16hh??

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sadly I don't know anyone in the area :(
His Dad is built like an absolute tank so I'm starting to think that at 15.2 aged 2 years, 8 months that it's very possible he'll get to 16hh??

You know a whole forum full of people! Some must be local to him and just possibly one of them would be willing to go and have a look at him for you.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Ok guys he's in Cardigan, Wales...if there is anyone in the area that is able to check him out for me I would be superbly grateful and of course would pay any expenses involved xx

be positive

Visit site
Ok guys he's in Cardigan, Wales...if there is anyone in the area that is able to check him out for me I would be superbly grateful and of course would pay any expenses involved xx

Amymay is not far away from there, maybe send a pm and either see if she is willing or able to suggest someone, if she went I think you would get a very honest appraisal.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've sent anyway a PM. I'm really not being lazy by being reluctant to go and view him...it's just my poor old car isn't overly well and I'm handrearing several baby Parrotlets at the moment too 😣

I am very envious of the parrotlets! I've got silkie chicken chicks at the minute and love them, but parrotlets must be pretty cool!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I have many, many parrots lol...around 26 parrotlets, 20 Masked Lovebirds, a Greenwing Macaw, Yellow Naped Amazon, Senegal and a pet Peace Faced Lovebird ...it's a mental asylum here :oops:
I am very envious of the parrotlets! I've got silkie chicken chicks at the minute and love them, but parrotlets must be pretty cool!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I have many, many parrots lol...around 26 parrotlets, 20 Masked Lovebirds, a Greenwing Macaw, Yellow Naped Amazon, Senegal and a pet Peace Faced Lovebird ...it's a mental asylum here :oops:

Right, I'm saving that for the next time my OH so much as mutters under his breath about the chickens! :cool:

Just to update that the lovely person that is Amymay is going to have a look at this chap for me on Sunday :)

This is so exciting!!