Squeeeeee I think Ive found him!!!

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Ooo squee I really hope in person he looks like he has potential and that Amymay likes him! All the siblings I've seen pictures of are lovely and have the best temperaments so fingers firmly crossed it's just some Dr Green and time needed to make him a swan 😊

#iamnotatallbiasedbutbuyhimnow 😁

Sauerkraut

Visit site
Don’t want to burst your bubble but buying a 3 year old with the hope he grows at least another hand is risky.
I’ve got a 14.3 sec D out of a 15.2 mare and 15.2 sire. Didn’t grow an inch since being 3 😂😂😂

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Don’t want to burst your bubble but buying a 3 year old with the hope he grows at least another hand is risky.
I’ve got a 14.3 sec D out of a 15.2 mare and 15.2 sire. Didn’t grow an inch since being 3 😂😂😂

I had a 14.2 out of a 15.0 mare by a 16.2 sire. I found out after the mare had Welsh pony in her ancestry.
Hoping all is OK for you though.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Sooo Amymay went to see the boy this morning with her friend and thought he was a nice enough little chap. It's clear he needs lots of handling but he was more unsure that scared. He needs alot of work doung on his feet but was not as scrawny and immature as the photos of him had suggested. It would seem that the seller has been completely honest about him which is nice to know. However because of some broken fencing he was in a barn situation with other horses so was unable to be correctly measured etc. Amymay says he's definitely got good bone and there is definitely some growing left to do but whether he will make height for me or not we don't know. So all in all I feel more positive than at first BUT I do need to have a think and decide if the height factor is going to be a big issue or not.
Many thanks again to anyway and her friend, most appreciated xx

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site

I'm not needing him to grow a whole hand...just a couple more inches. He's 15.2 now so already alot bigger than his Mum and same height as his Dad x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Glad Amymay liked him 😀 How big does she think he is presently?

He was probably knocking on the door of 15.2 - but only just. I liked him in the flesh, but it wasn't the easiest of environments to view him in unfortunately (10 of them in the barn, spilling over in to a small, very muddy yard).

But, it was nice to help a fellow HHO out. And it was a fun way to spend an hour this morning.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Squeak! How big does he need to be SLH? My little girl is 14.1/2ish and I got her from a big burly builder chap who rode her in a western saddle. She took up his leg well as well as carried him easily. It's something I had vet who vetted her and physio check out thoroughly :)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm not needing him to grow a whole hand...just a couple more inches. He's 15.2 now so already alot bigger than his Mum and same height as his Dad x
But remember what you previously said this on this thread, and have said similarly on others:-
Last but not least I just prefer something 16.2+...in the same way some people like smaller types, it's a personal preference?
What a shame that amymay wasn't allowed to view and see him properly stood out on his own after her kind offer to go and see him.

JJS

Visit site
TBH, will an extra two inches really make much of a difference to how he feels to ride? I wouldn't have thought so, so if you genuinely like him, I don't think it should put you off.

That said, you did originally specify 16.2hh plus, so maybe it would be a bigger deal to you than it would to me.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
TBH, will an extra two inches really make much of a difference to how he feels to ride? I wouldn't have thought so, so if you genuinely like him, I don't think it should put you off.

You'd be surprised at how much difference it can make.

Remember, it's not just the extra height you get. But extra everything.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
TBH, if the vendor knew that AM was going to see if he is likely to be big enough for you and hadn't organised for him to be measured accurately, I would walk away.

Measuring a 3 year old will only tell you how big he is today, it will give no clue to his mature height. Why would the vendor go to the trouble of measuring him. He is a cheap horse. It would be different if the purchaser was wanting something under 14.2 or perhaps a small hunter or show cob that will need to measure in at maturity.

I do think consideration has to given when thinking you need to buy a tall horse because you are tall. This is not necessarily true. If the horse has bone and depth it need not be tall to carry a tall person. The rider on the horse below is 6'1", how big do you think the horse is ?

bjfknt.jpg

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Measuring a 3 year old will only tell you how big he is today, it will give no clue to his mature height. Why would the vendor go to the trouble of measuring him. He is a cheap horse. It would be different if the purchaser was wanting something under 14.2 or perhaps a small hunter or show cob that will need to measure in at maturity.

I do think consideration has to given when thinking you need to buy a tall horse because you are tall. This is not necessarily true. If the horse has bone and depth it need not be tall to carry a tall person. The rider on the horse below is 6'1", how big do you think the horse is ?

bjfknt.jpg

I'm going to say 15.3?? I'm no good at guessing though..I generally always think they are smaller than they are 😳
I do like a tall horse, and I find smaller horses can more choppy in stride which is hard with my pain issues.
For those saying about the couple of inches not mattering; it can make an awful lot of difference. You generally get an all round bigger horse not just the height. It's not that I'm not prepared to go smaller if needed but it would have to be the right horse, as a preference I like them taller.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

bjfknt.jpg

My understanding was that as SLH particularly wants a horse over 16'2", Amymay went to look at the horse to see if she thought it likely to mature at that height,, - that was the whole purpose of the visit. i also understood that the vendor had revised the estimate of the horse's current height. OP has already sold a horse that she liked but which was not big enough for her to feel comfortable on. It really doesn't matter what the rest of us think about horse's ability to take up the leg etc, it is SLH who will need to feel comfortable on the horse that she eventually buys.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm going to say 15.3?? I'm no good at guessing though..I generally always think they are smaller than they are 😳
I do like a tall horse, and I find smaller horses can more choppy in stride which is hard with my pain issues.
For those saying about the couple of inches not mattering; it can make an awful lot of difference. You generally get an all round bigger horse not just the height. It's not that I'm not prepared to go smaller if needed but it would have to be the right horse, as a preference I like them taller.

SLH I know where you are on this. I recently sold a cob who was very nearly 16 hh and plenty big enough for me. I'm now riding two horses approaching 16.2 and was out on the arena this morning when the thought popped into my head from nowhere how much happier I felt to be higher up and on a longer striding horse. The one I was on is no longer than the cob was, but it still felt better. I don't think you should buy this fellow, he's already as big as his parents and you can't guarantee you'll get any more height, or that he'll ride big enough even if he makes 16hh.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site

bjfknt.jpg
Looks about 15.1hh to me, based off the rider's height.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's not just future height that you need to look at, but movement. Smaller horses don't necessarily have choppy striding, but big heavy types can be pretty clumpy and choppy to ride if they have a lot of knee action.

A smoother and more thoroughbred-y action would be easier to sit to than a proper heavy, wouldn't it?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Ok, just to address the last two posts.
TP, I agree, some big horses are still hard to ride. Having had a Clydesdale before I know what you mean. The most comfy horses I've ever ridden have been heavy crosses...more like ID types. I am not keen on narrow horses, that's a more personal thing which is why something tall but chunky seems like a good compromise. I will bear your comments in mind though.
Ester, the field shelter thing is a good point. You could probably fit an almost 18hander in there, but not comfortably which is why a max of approx 17 would be ideal.
I'm willing to compromise on various things, esp given the budget involved but there are certain things that are more of an issue than others.
In an "ideal" world a 16.2 ID or ID X would be spot on...I just don't think I'm going to find that in my budget :(

jnb

Visit site
Random observation but...just noticed you're in Shropshire! My little cob is officially 15hh (152.8cm) but definitely takes up your leg....he was around 148.5cm aged 3 in 2016.
Most cob types definitely grow - a LOT - after age 3. He's gone up 2-3 rug sizes!

Last edited:

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
SLH I know where you are on this. I recently sold a cob who was very nearly 16 hh and plenty big enough for me. I'm now riding two horses approaching 16.2 and was out on the arena this morning when the thought popped into my head from nowhere how much happier I felt to be higher up and on a longer striding horse. The one I was on is no longer than the cob was, but it still felt better. I don't think you should buy this fellow, he's already as big as his parents and you can't guarantee you'll get any more height, or that he'll ride big enough even if he makes 16hh.

Oohh i keep forgetting to messagr you on how Ludo is doing?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Oohh i keep forgetting to messagr you on how Ludo is doing?

Much less confident to hack out than I expected, given how quiet he is on the arena, but doing fine for a nearly four year old out on his own (I have no choice). On the arena, moments are sublime, and getting more frequent and held for longer. I have to remind myself to limit the time and the effort I ask him for. His movement is huge and he still has a lot more growing to do by the look of him. His new buddy Muffin, the failed hurdler, is going to be very nice as well, in time. Thanks for asking 👍

SLH, what have you decided?

Leo Walker

Visit site
The suffolk punch trust is selling off a few of their horses. No idea on price but got to be worth a call

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And if you want a real baby a friend is selling a shire x clydesdale foal

50875293_10101478136046515_5600657497380618240_n.jpg

50891887_10101478136041525_2559614544922017792_n.jpg