Squirrels

millikins

Visit site
:mad:

How do you get rid of the blighters? They have invaded the stable/feed room roof and are trashing it. Shredding the hardboard liner, wreaking havoc on shelves, stealing food. The last straw was a blocked drainage pipe from the sink, they had stashed about a mugful of corn (stolen from the chickens), packed it into the pipe and plugged the end with shredded hardboard. I can't even get how they did that, does one stuff the corn in while another stops it all falling out? They are far too quick and have too much cover to use an air rifle.

fuzzymooch

Visit site
Ah been there squirrels ate my bandages! :). Are they red or grey? Reds are endangered I'd think a wildlifecentre would probably come get them or advise. Greys Im afraid I don't know. Good luck

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Prob not much help, but the only time I've had squirrel issues at the yard, I left my JRxManchester shut in the feed shed during the day whilst was at yard over 2 or 3 days, then left him there overnight one eve.
No killing was done, but no squiggles after that. Blocked every tiny entry point & also lined ceiling/eaves with small holed wire.

Good luck, they are little *****s for damage!

Shay

Visit site
A quick google suggests there are plenty of companies who will trap (and presumably kill) greys. Reds of course and protected. Also loads of advice on how to squirrel proof property etc - but I can see that that would be immensely difficult at a yard.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Bleddy squirrels. Luckily they haven't invaded our yard, but twice now they have gnawed away at a 5l plastic petrol can that was left out whilst I was mowing the lawn, puncturing it and allowing petrol to leak out!! No idea what the appeal of a stinky fuel can was.

You can easily get humane traps. It's then down to you, of course, what you do with the blighters once you've caught them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2522...3D710-134428-41853-0%26rvr_id%3D1191558590110

tamsinkb

Visit site
My cats have successfully rid my yard of all vermin - including rats and squirrels.....I haven't seen any dead bodies, but I think the mere presence of the cats had deterred them. I suppose it helps that my 2 young cats are incredible climbers helps. Good luck with getting rid of them.

turnbuckle

Visit site
Better than rabbit, you don't get that nasty aftertaste. But not much on them :(

Seriously, feral cats might well work. But then you get catpoo everywhere.

Luci07

Visit site
Borrow a couple of Stafford bull terriers for a while. Mine are avid squirrel hunters and there have been a number of close calls. Squirrels tend to stay well away when they have been around. Funniest moment - Stafford caught between going after a cheeky pheasant OR the devil incarnate squirrel....

shadeofshyness

www.packthesuitcases.com
Ah been there squirrels ate my bandages! :). Are they red or grey? Reds are endangered I'd think a wildlifecentre would probably come get them or advise. Greys Im afraid I don't know. Good luck

It's always greys that trash things. Reds are too civilised.

I grew up next door to a red squirrel reserve so am definitely not biased at all.

millikins

Visit site
Thank you for replies. Sadly they are greys not reds, reds could do as much damage as they wanted :) Can lock food away but the gap in the roof space is what has attracted them I think. Only available dog is a standard poodle who would need counselling if locked in a feed room and expected to be useful! It's off to Mole Farmers for a live trap tomorrow, if I feel kind they can go to wildlife rescue, if not I have a recipe somewhere for squirrel and tarragon fricassee.

LD&S

Visit site
Bleddy squirrels. Luckily they haven't invaded our yard, but twice now they have gnawed away at a 5l plastic petrol can that was left out whilst I was mowing the lawn, puncturing it and allowing petrol to leak out!! No idea what the appeal of a stinky fuel can was.

You can easily get humane traps. It's then down to you, of course, what you do with the blighters once you've caught them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2522...3D710-134428-41853-0%26rvr_id%3D1191558590110

I'm not sure but I think once captured they should not be released as they are not a native species.

http://www.greysquirrelcontrol.co.uk/history-of-control.php

Last edited:

millikins

Visit site
Well the live trap worked! Much to my surprise I have caught 2 in one morning. And I released them several miles away. I know I'm not meant to but I have neither the stomach nor the means to kill a small frightened animal with no chance of escape.

Cragrat

Visit site
"Under Schedule 9 of the WCA, it is illegal to release a grey squ irrel into the wild, or allow one to escape. This means if you trap one, you are obliged to humanely dispatch it. You must not let it go as this act would be illegal."
Squirrels and the Law | Red Squirrels Northern England
www.rsne.org.uk › squirrels-and-law

Maybe take the next ones to a vet?

millikins

Visit site
If I get any more over the weekend then daughter's fiance is around with an air rifle, I didn't actually expect the trap to work.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It is illegal to re release a trapped squirrel.

It's illegal to release a grey squirrel you must release reds .
There is nothing more irresponsible that releasing greys in a new area .
They carry pox which decinmates reds, move a grey and you could have taken pox straight into a reds territory
Between the pox and the greys being bigger and more aggressive the reds have no chance .
It's illegal to release them for a good reason .

Last edited:

millikins

Visit site
There has not been a red squirrel in Surrey for decades :( Well there were two more today, don't know if it was the previous ones returned but they won't be back tomorrow as the air rile owner was available. Maybe if there's more I'll just set the trap at weekends. Out of interest, how does everyone suggest humanely dispatching them with no gun? RSPCA prosecuted the guy who drowned one.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
There has not been a red squirrel in Surrey for decades :( Well there were two more today, don't know if it was the previous ones returned but they won't be back tomorrow as the air rile owner was available. Maybe if there's more I'll just set the trap at weekends. Out of interest, how does everyone suggest humanely dispatching them with no gun? RSPCA prosecuted the guy who drowned one.

If no gun is available let them out of the trap in to a suitable sack, then a good blow to the head with a heavy object will kill them

PaulieB796

New User
Visit site
If you are still having squirrel issues (and you are a reasonable travelling distance from Leicester) I would be more than happy to offer my services to help. I am BASC registered and insured to use air weapons to control vermin species such as squirrels.

If you could use some free Vermin control now (or in future WHEN) the squirrels return, please feel free to give me a call.

Regards

Paul - 07515518872

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Well the live trap worked! Much to my surprise I have caught 2 in one morning. And I released them several miles away. I know I'm not meant to but I have neither the stomach nor the means to kill a small frightened animal with no chance of escape.

Illegal to do so - if you don't like it get a pest controller in. If you did that up here in Scotland you could easily have killed off the indigenous red squirrel by illegally introducing those greys to new territory :(

millikins

Visit site
I caught lots. Solved my squeamishness by only setting trap when daughter's BF around to shoot them. And did some juggling so that all squirrel attractive food is in metal bins. No I wouldn't release greys if there was any hope at all of reds being about, the nearest to me are probably on the IOW.

tashcat

Visit site
Reading all the comments telling you to slaughter squirrels because they are an inconvenience is cruel and inhumane.

I understand they are a real pain, and causing a lot of costly damage but that doesn't make murder acceptable.

It really upsets me that it is illegal to catch a grey squirrel and not kill them - after all, it our fault they are here. We brought them over as part of the fashion in the 1800s, and thus we are responsible for the death of red squirrels, not them.

I do hope you manage to sort the issue OP!

millikins

Visit site
I don't have an issue with killing them, there are too many and they do a lot of damage but I have an issue with botching it. The gun available is too big for me to handle with dexterity and I am completely unfamiliar with guns anyway.