Ssangyonggb Rexton for towing

w1bbler

Visit site
Love mine. If you don't carry rear seat passengers consider the van version. I got one, basically they rip all the rear seats out of a normal one, black out rear Windows & put in a flat floor, means loads of space for all your stuff & cheaper tax - it also cost less to buy ☺

dixie

Visit site
Yes brilliant. I have a 2014 model and its effortless. Its a 7 seater so the back seats lie flat and its a bit higher, so loads of space. I tow a 511 with one or two horses.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Does anyone have any knowledge of their overall reliability ? The elderly disco td5 is costing both arms and legs to keep on the road and needs to be replaced by something that spends more time with me than with the mechanic!

Millie-Rose

Visit site
Does anyone have any knowledge of their overall reliability ? The elderly disco td5 is costing both arms and legs to keep on the road and needs to be replaced by something that spends more time with me than with the mechanic!
We've had our 58 reg 5 years now and has been very reliable has done 130,000 and I tow a lot with it. Other than consumables brakes, exhaust the only other thing has been one wheel bearing. Main dealer quoted nearly 500 for the part our excellent independent mechanic found an aftermarket one for 80! I love mine and want another or the Musso next. Not too bad on fuel either and don't really notice a difference in fuel consumption when towing as it does it so easily. Ours cost 6k to buy 5 years ago.

JFTDWS

Visit site

I'm watching this thread with interest for the exact same reason!

Nativelover

Visit site
Mine was a 55 plate, about 4 years old when I had it. It was a lovely car to drive, and tow with. You never knew anything was on the back. I had an auto and the gearbox went, I had dreadful quotes to fix it circa £3k, I couldn’t help but feel ripped off so in the end I sold it on. I couldn’t find anyone to do it for what I considered a reasonable price, hence steering away from them since.

YorksG

Visit site
I think that might be because it is a merc gear box, they are very expensive to fix. The disco is costing a kings ransom at the moment and buying a nearly new car with some warranty looks like a plan :)

jodie3

Visit site
My first one failed its mot on quite a lot of things ( I'm not mechanically minded and don't think it had been looked after or serviced much before I bought it) I sold it for spares or repairs and the guy who bought it had been actively looking for one as a tow vehicle for his business as they are known to be good for towing.
I'm on my second one now and find it tows really well.

Sealine

Visit site
I traded my trusty Kia Sorento in against a 6 month old ex-demo 2.2 ELX Auto with 4k miles on the clock last week. I took my 511 out yesterday for a short towing test run but I didn't have any horses on board. I'm planning on a trip out next Saturday when I will have two horses on board. I nearly bought the older model last year but held back until I could afford the new model as there is a big difference in the interior. The ELX is the mid range and compared to my 10 year old Kia Sorento it is luxury with more bells and whistles than I need e.g. 7 seats, full leather, reversing camera, touch screen, apple car play, lane assist. I'm still trying to work out how everything works. The extras on the top of the range Ultimate model weren't important to me e.g. power assisted tailgate, quilted leather, ventilated seats and a couple of other bits and pieces. Road tax is £140 p.a. which is alot cheaper than the £540 for the Kia. I'm very pleased with the Rexton so far but the acid test for me is towing off a wet field in the middle of winter after hunting.

Edited to add - I believe the 7 year warranty started last July. Before that I believe it was a 5 year warranty.

YorksG

Visit site
This is looking more and more like a plan :) I will be looking a a 15ish plate, need something big enough for passengers and two large Rotters, or passengers and five bales of shavings :) and that actually keeps going!

Nativelover

Visit site
This is looking more and more like a plan :) I will be looking a a 15ish plate, need something big enough for passengers and two large Rotters, or passengers and five bales of shavings :) and that actually keeps going!

Then I think you’ll find everything you need in a rexton, I think I just had bad luck with mine.

Romeorider

Visit site
My friend has a new one and she has towed my horse a few times - its so good you can't feel the trailer at all and I'm more worried we will just forget he's there!

JillA

Visit site
I bought one as a towing vehicle in 2015, but unfortunately I sold my trailer before I had chance to tow with it. I bought the Rexton because it made economic sense - for the price (demonstrator, not quite full price) I could only have bought a 3 yr old Disco and the road tax on that was £550 p.a. - £10 p.w. before you even took it off the drive! The Rexton (mine's the all singing all dancing ELS) is £280 p.a. and with the long warranty makes so much sense. Not much else apart from the pick ups can tow 3 tonnes, other than the Disco, the VW Touareg and the Kia Sorento, all of which are a LOT more money. The magazines will tell you it is clunky to drive and maybe it is compared to a more boy racer sort of vehicle but I love mine. I'm about to have the reversing camera fixed under the warranty and a couple of other minor problems have been sorted no quibble.

Oh, and I get a double dog crate in the back or 4 bales of hay with the seats still up

sjp1

Visit site
I had an 06 for several years - considering I paid 8k for it at 3 years old it was fine for a few years - but it cost a fortune to keep on the road because it had nothing but problems! Sold it last year when if failed its MOT needing a huge amount of welding and several parts. Sold it to go to Romania where I guess MOT's don't matter. Mine as a 2006 was over 500 per year to tax and it just had problem after problem when it got a bit older. Now got a 2003 RAV - which is way simpler!! So, nothing in life is for nothing IME with Rexton's - they are cheap to buy but expensive to keep on the road - but they may have sorted those problems - I don't know.

JillA

Visit site
I had an 06 for several years - considering I paid 8k for it at 3 years old it was fine for a few years - but it cost a fortune to keep on the road because it had nothing but problems! Sold it last year when if failed its MOT needing a huge amount of welding and several parts. Sold it to go to Romania where I guess MOT's don't matter. Mine as a 2006 was over 500 per year to tax and it just had problem after problem when it got a bit older. Now got a 2003 RAV - which is way simpler!! So, nothing in life is for nothing IME with Rexton's - they are cheap to buy but expensive to keep on the road - but they may have sorted those problems - I don't know.

I would imagine that is why they now give a 5 (or 7) year warranty. They must have made changes