Stable bandages/boots

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My horse is arthritic and slightly stiff as he's being turned out in the morning somedays (although that didn't stop the monkey tearing round and clearing the electric fence to come back in last week!)
I once bought him some stable chaps but he destroyed them over night but I have wondered about stable bandages over night to keep his legs a bit warmer. His stable is probably a little draughty but tbh I like the fact its got good airflow.
My query/worry is will he not feel the cold far more then having them taken off to be turned out. Will this make his joints worse?
Thoughts please!? (I may be looking to far into this!)

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
Proably won't feel the cold too much if he's out during the day, as they keep moving and it tends to be slightly warmer during a day. If you was really concerned about him feeling the cold you could always use turn out boots too

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Proably won't feel the cold too much if he's out during the day, as they keep moving and it tends to be slightly warmer during a day. If you was really concerned about him feeling the cold you could always use turn out boots too

I did consider turnout boots but soon enough we move house and I'm going to be really quite pushed for time in the mornings. Being a complete swamp beast his get up already takes ages to put on and take off!
When we manage to move them closer to the new house that may well be a plan.

Your right about the temp difference of course and the fact he will be moving- may give them a try.

bertin12

Visit site
I have a 13yr old gelding who last winter would be very stiff coming out the stable after being in at night. He always had to stop and really stretch out his back legs too. Once he was moving he was ok.

I bought some second hand thermatex leg wraps and they make such a difference!! He wears them on all 4 legs every night in the winter and walks out fine in the morning.

Sophire

Visit site
Mine wears ceramic wraps in front and is bandaged behind overnight. She's not overly stiff normally, but she's noticeably better walking out in the morning when she's all wrapped up.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Take a look at premier equine stable wraps, I've got them brilliant and doubles up as travelling boots, cos my sons mare hates travel boots that go over hock area...

CBAnglo

Visit site
My arthritic one wears magnetic bands and has thermatex wraps overnight. They really stop filled legs and take 2 seconds to put on/take off. Pay extra for the codura covered ones; they are so worth it!

cornwallexracers

Visit site
I second the PE stable boots, my old boys legs have a tendency to fill overnight and I initially used stable bandages but didn't trust anyone else to do them in case I was ill or couldn't get there for whatever reason. So I got the veredus stable boots and a set of PE ones as a reserve for when the veredus ones were in the wash. The veredus ones disintegrated after about 12 months, but the PE ones are still going strong after about 4 years, plus they're about £23 a pair.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My horse is arthritic and slightly stiff as he's being turned out in the morning somedays (although that didn't stop the monkey tearing round and clearing the electric fence to come back in last week!)
I once bought him some stable chaps but he destroyed them over night but I have wondered about stable bandages over night to keep his legs a bit warmer. His stable is probably a little draughty but tbh I like the fact its got good airflow.
My query/worry is will he not feel the cold far more then having them taken off to be turned out. Will this make his joints worse?
Thoughts please!? (I may be looking to far into this!)

mine wear wraps in the stable when it's cold and he is standing, outside he is on the move.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Strangely my horse chews wraps or boots off whereas he seems not to bother with bandages. Also of course bandages are cheap and not so annoying if he does destroy them.
He has a set of Bioflow boots which are great.