Stable bandages - How long is it safe to leave them on for?

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
OK, following on from PF falling over in trailer and hurting herself because eejit groom couldn't be bothered to put her bandages on, i was wondering (for the sake of my own piece of mind) whether it was ok to put them on as soon as PF had cooled down from SJing (always in the morning) and leave them on until she gets home (late afternoon) or is this too long?
Hopefully Fabian will be coming to shows with us from now on, and I DO trust him to put them on, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
And in case anyone was wondering why I don't put them on myself at the last minute, well, usually I do, but because I rely on lifts to shows, sometimes we leave well before the horses, and sometimes the horses get whisked away earlier then expected (transport people often have to shift quite alot of horses to the same show)

Fairynuff

Visit site
I cant see any problem so long as theyre not too tight. Maybe a good idea to put some cooling gel on before the bandaging? Mairi.
smile.gif

star

Visit site
regularly leave them on overnight as long as padded well underneath. Dan currently wearing one 24/7, changed once a day as his leg must not be exposed to the sun (although have taken it off today as definitely no sun here, just lots of wet stuff!)

mandy4727

Visit site
PF. Be very very careful. Someone I know went to a cross country 2 weeks ago. Did the very same thing and put bandages for a few hours afterwards. Next day horses legs up like balloons. Took horse to vet. Bandages had been on too long and you should see it's legs now. They will heel but. It had to go on antibotics, all the hair has dropped off and a big bit of skin and fur hanging off this morning and all smelly. Going back to vets. Horse will be fine and make a full recovery. All cos he bandages were on too long.

Zebedee

Visit site
Bet they were elasticated? Stable bandages with gamgee or fibrgee underneath should be fine 24/7, provided that they are re-done daily. My mare gets swollen hind legs if she stays in unless bandaged, and as foal is on box rest at the moment she is wearing hers all the time.