Stable Bandages

lilpete

Visit site
Just wondering how long you leave stable bandages on your horses, or what the maximum amount of time you should leave them on is? Everybody says a different thing!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
My horses have their hinds bandaged between 7-8pm every night, they come around 7:45am
laugh.gif

lilpete

Visit site
I was only asking because someone suggested I left my bandages on too long, I too put then on about 6pm and take them off about 8am.

star

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
on a good subject, why to do people bandage overnight? what are the benefits?

[/ QUOTE ]

i am bandaging because it's 8wks since my horse had both his back legs operated on and he needs the support. if i dont bandage they fill really badly as he is 20 and because of the op he had.

kick_On

Visit site
I always bandages leg after very hard work eg eventing or hunting. When my horse had to have box rest for along time he was bandaged all the time and they were taken off twice a day, to let air get to legs and then replaced.
It all to do with the lymphic system, when a horse is stabled the lymphic system doesn't works so effectively and add to that with a site of heat/pain = tree trunk leg in morning very pain full.
They say the foot acts as an extra heartbeat to aids the lymphic system when moving around in the field. So that's why if you have a fat legs in morning and put gg out for day and when you come to bring in the legs have gone down (unless you've down something really bad)

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Bandages give the leg support, which will help old injuries. They also offer warmth, which helps improve the circulation. This is good for horses whose circulation may be compromised - older horses, horses recovering from injury, horses who may be predisposed to injury etc.