Stable banks - yes or no?

What's the best way out of the problem?

• Total voters

LauraBR

Visit site
I don't. My first horse made a point of pulling ALL his banks down as soon as you put him in the stable so I got out of the habit. Realised with the horse after him that I should maybe make the effort again- first time I put banks up he got badly cast.

Given that the only time a horse of mine has been cast was with banks, since then I haven't bothered and have never had any trouble.

I'm not convinced banks make an awful lot of difference.

lordflynn

Visit site
I do have banks (at livery) but tbh have seen a few horses cast-not one of which has been helped/hindered by banks! So not bothered-would rather the bed was deep.

Bri

Visit site
I always used to have banks, but Sid tends to dig them all up so just stopped bothering now..

Echo what someone else said...I'd rather his bed was deep!

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Always. Three reasons - to guard against casting though like others not sure they make that much difference unless very large solid banks, to aid against drafts and finally because they look much neater than a bed without.

tormor

Visit site
I have one nice solid bank along the back wall used to have them right round but django decided that the two on the sides were fun to pull down

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Yep I have 3 banks. My stables are rubber matted with a 1/3 shavings bed. I like them for the same as someone above. They keep down drafts, helps if they get cast (apparently) and my mare uses them as a pillow I'm sure she does!! The bed also looks finished, neat and tidy I think

Prudence

Visit site
Unless the banks are over 3ft high, they will have little impact on whether or not a horse gets cast and injures itself. For a bank to be that high, can you imagine the size it would have to be a tthe base...... You'd need a rather large stable..........

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Rubber matting with shavings banks. My girl always pees in her banks so this works really well. I make them bigger in winter, think they look cosy too but thats me being soft!

Tamara

Visit site
We dont bank after reading that they do not stop horses from being cast & can harbour spors & dust. We dont have gaps so dont have draughts. The horses have a good layer of bedown despite having rubber matting.

Peanot

Visit site
My horse has rubber matting and a 1/2 shavings bed with big walls. Her stable is a long one and is about 11ft x 14ft, so the back half is shavings on rubber mats and the front part is just the rubber.
I think it looks cosy and my horse also uses hers as pillows like someone has already said above.