Stable mirrors?

nomini

Visit site
I am really considering getting a stable mirror for Alisha as she gets so worked up when she is on her own. As soon as Jiggy or the horse on the other side come in she is more than happy and settles down to eat her hay but while she is on her own she just fly's round her stable, whinnying as loud as possible and generally working herself up. Anyone had any good/bad experiences of mirrors in stables? Also, does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced one from?

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
My mare has two!!! When she is in she spends most of the time staring at herself - bless, think she must be part budgie!!!! I didn't get the mirrors because she has any stable vices, just because she spends a lot of time in on her own, as she is intollerant to grass!!! Her field buddy also has one, which he adores too.

I got mine from e-bay quite cheaply (look in garden supplies for acrylic mirrors, as they are sometimes cheaper). One is steel and the other is acrylic (which is more reflective). Someone posted a while back saying you could get rolls of reflective sticky back plastic from DIY stores, that made very good stable mirrors.

nomini

Visit site
Thanks, will look into the acrylic mirrors then
smile.gif

nomini

Visit site
Will do, the cheapest i have found so far is about £35. Might go to homebase tomorrow and see if they have anything vaguely resembling a non breakable mirror...!

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
amourg020.jpg

This is Spider the day after his 5 1/2hr journey home with us, aged 6 months.
He had been weaned two weeks previously but was only used to internal stables with bars between.
I bought him the mirror to help him settle in and he thinks his 'friend' is fab!

Mine too came from ebay. I tried the one on a roll but didn't find it very easy to apply without getting bumps and therefore distorting the reflection.

SusanFlynn

Visit site
<font color="brown"> I posted up last night I have them in my stable but post isnt here, not sure why. I put them up over 3 years ago</font>

<font color="blue">
grin.gif
I put them up over 2 1/2 years ago in Flynns stable as I felt it was better to be proactive and have them there in case ever injured or had to be stabled for what ever reason for long periods. </font>

At 1st I couldnt groom him in front of it as he then groomed the mirror! and scratched it. He is often seen standing at the side of the mirror quite content.
I got another person to put one up in his stable when he had injured horse and he would be all alone in an internal stable. His horse never fretted at all. Now if you consider every horse in that yard either scraped stable floor, kicked doors, cribbed, weaved, kicked the walls and our two did none of this I think is a reflection of their usefulness.

The original stable mirror by Lincoln Mirrors did research and that was reported over 5 years ago.
If you go into Ebay and search Stable Mirrors they will also give you details on how to fix up and where to site them. I also have one in my trailer for travelling.

That I also find useful for me to have a mirror to check my own appearance.

I often think Flynn is checking he has applied enough mud that day to his neck and mane!
wink.gif