Stable rugs for an unclipped horse

Would you buy a horse that weaved and windsucked?

• Total voters

Blizzard

Visit site
There is a bit of a debate at my place about rugging unclipped horses in the stables, in Winter.
I would be interested in your thoughts, the stables are the american barn style and the horses are unclipped cobs, and good doers, they are in light work.
please let me know what you would do....

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I cant vote yet.
You dont say if they are in work, or getting turned out at all. If they arent in work there is no need for a rug at all. However if they are in work, sweating up and getting sponged/washed off they need something on to stop them getting a chill.
Personally would use a light fleece, and if anything, another fleece on cold nights.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Id say they probably dont need one. Maybe if the nights really cold Id chuck a fleece rug on but that'd probably be it. Depends on their coat really! If its really thick then they'll be fine. But of course, if a horse is old etc. then it may well need one.

merlins-mum

community.webshots.com
I put a h/w rug on mine in the depths of winter, although he is unclipped - but then he is in an 'outside' stable not a barn, and it gets REALLY cold.
I would rather not have to put back weight lost through shivering, so I allow him to be a bit of a nancy!

spider

community.webshots.com
I think you're right. He won't need more than that. My Welsh cob is in an outdoor stable and on part livery. I had a struggle last winter to stop him been overrugged. I think people thought they were being kind, but tried to rug him the same as thinner skinned horses. I left a fleece and a thin stable rug and they,d put them both on for the night and when I got there to ride I had to point out that he was sweaty. He had a bib clip last winter and no rugs at all until November, then a rug at night and a fleece in the day if it was below freezing. When turned out he had no rug unless very cold or wet as he could move around to keep warm.

Blizzard

Visit site
Yep that sounds about right to me, my heviest rug for mine turnout wise is only a medium weight, so I cant see her needing more than a lightweight one in winter for the stable, if that.
Keeping the rugs ff as long as poss, hoping she will shiver off some of the flab LOL

Onyxia

Visit site
Nothing untill it gets really cold, then maybe a flece/lightweight rug.
It doesnt get really cold untill late november up here so wouldnt think about a rug for an unclipped cob before then.

IMHO over rugging is as bad as under rugging.