Stable rugs for larger horses

Dreckly

Visit site
My chap is a 17hh half shire. I need a new stable rug for him (on the heavier side). Normally I have Premier Equine no neck, but they have now started doing this half neck thing and I know it is going to rub his mane out.

So, I have to find an alternative. I have seen a Shires Tempest and a Weatherbeeta Diamond Quilt on the internet which both look a bit more generous in the length. Does anyone have any experience of these rugs who could give me an opinion on how generous they are in the neck and shoulders?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I would look at Ruggles heavy horse rugs. Shires Tempest turnout I found narrow in the shoulders (Highlander was better but was just borrowing that for a try on). Weatherbeeta, again I've found them generally narrow. My mare's Ruggles rug is the only one she has that does actually fit her shoulders properly.

Starzaan

Visit site
I know I'm biased as I work for Weatherbeeta, but I went for a job there as I loved their rugs so much. My 17.3hh ISH (chunky monkey - definitely more ID than TB!) is in the 1000D Diamond Quilt and it fits perfectly. :)
ETA - whereabouts are you? If you're in my territory I'll see if I can team you up with one of my lovely retailers.

Dreckly

Visit site
I know I'm biased as I work for Weatherbeeta, but I went for a job there as I loved their rugs so much. My 17.3hh ISH (chunky monkey - definitely more ID than TB!) is in the 1000D Diamond Quilt and it fits perfectly. :)
ETA - whereabouts are you? If you're in my territory I'll see if I can team you up with one of my lovely retailers.

Thanks for the reply. I am in North Essex I was at Ingatestone today and saw the other heavy stable things it is Channel quilt or something, but the Diamond just looks bigger. Do you know anywhere around here that sells the Diamond?

Starzaan

Visit site
The Diamond would be best if he's had problems with his mane being rubbed out because of the cuff.

Ingatestone should have some. If not, Broomfields, and Long Melford. Worth checking though - you can look on our website and find stockists in your area by product :)

Dreckly

Visit site
The Diamond would be best if he's had problems with his mane being rubbed out because of the cuff.

Ingatestone should have some. If not, Broomfields, and Long Melford. Worth checking though - you can look on our website and find stockists in your area by product :)

Thank you so much. I know Long Melford Saddlery so will give them a ring

dogatemysalad

Visit site
The only rugs that would fit my big lad were the Horseware XL rugs. Bucas do big neck rugs which give an extra 3 inches which are great for for very big horses, but aren't quite as roomy as the horseware Amigo XL. Wouldn't recommend the Big Horse Shop rugs at all. Poor design and poor quality.