Stable/yard lighting suggestion- No electric

McNally

Visit site
I have a small yard with no electric and we have various torches and a few light fittings run by solar or connected to a car battery etc some of which are good others not so. My partner recently (much to my amusement!) bought on Ebay 2 strips of LED lights designed to fit under cars (think boy racer style!!) They arrived and were less than a foot long of tiny little bulbs in a plastic strip. A pack of 2 cost us i think £3.45 with free postage!!!

Now i'm mocking him mercilessly about his pony christmas decorations etc etc.....well i've eaten my words they are fab!
He connected to a car battery with crocodile type clip so i just undo it when i'm done and cable tied it to my stable roof. He had hoped for enough light to be able to feed and do basic bringing in/rug change by but actually i can muck out now in the dark! Its made my life so much easier not stressing about getting everything done before dark!
We also now bought a solar panel off ebay and i never have to bring the battery home to charge even! (although they use very very little power anyway so didnt require charging often)

Its a VERY cheap and incredibly easy way to light a stable with no electric- too good not to share ;-)

Hippona

Visit site
I don't have leccy either...so I have the 12v lights and car battery set up too...which works really well....2 batteries at the yard and 2 at home fully charged and ready.

I have a head-torch for poo-picking and my best buy this year is a re-chargable LED-mechanic's light- theres about 60 small LED lights in a tube with a hook on.....it really lights up the whole hay barn and its invaluable for filling haynets etc. Tenner from Aldi- bargain.:D

rose bud

Visit site
Hi,
This is exactly what i am looking for at the moment!
Do you know what you search for etc on ebay?
I need something to light my field shelter to check them over at night (i don't have a stable)
thanks

5horses2dogsandacat

Generally on a hill.. when not blown off the side.
Visit site
Just bought a solar powered light off amazon... look pretty easy to install and only cost around £15...

I will let you know how I get on, I doubt the light will be amazingly strong but apparently the one I bought is a security light so must have a bit of a range.

Nice thing is they wont cost anymore than the initial price as dont use electricity :)

Also bought myself a wind-up radio/touch/mobile charger for the yard too.. shower proof but maybe not horse proof we shall see lol xxx

Sunshine

Visit site
We did this type of thing several years ago, but in a more permanent format. We didn't have mains electric and I was worried about the fire risk from 240v running on a generator.
OH got lots of the halogen spotlight frames with connectors (think from screwfix), MR16 size bright white LED bulbs and lengths of 12v garden light cable and outdoor switches. These are permanently wired and fixed into each stable (5 stables + hayshed & tack rooms) and 4 on the outside under the overhang, with proper switches. We use one or two 12v leisure batteries over the whole winter and it is so easy and safe.
Not had to replace any bulbs at all for 9 years.