Stables and school, new yard

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
So planning has gone through for a new yard I'm involved in building. I don't know much about the actual building parts, but wondered what people would choose regarding stables and manege surface.

The stables can be in a straight block or american barn, I like the american barn but feel it may reduce "work space" to tie up etc.

School is 40x40 and the plan is silica sand and carpet fibre. Don't want rubber. Just wondered if anyone had problems with that and if there are any other reccomendations! Thanks.

Ladyinred

Visit site
I love our American barn but it is only a small one with 7 roomy boxes, a washroom, tackroom and a feed area. Plenty of space for all to tie up and groom if they want to and if they apply a little commonsense! We have the open bar boxes (Lodden?) so all the horses can see each other and are never lonely, also big window spaces that can be covered in a harsh winter, so the horses can look out across the paddocks. Our YO once said that all the horses that came there were happier and I admit to being sceptical, but, you know what, she was right. Obviously once in a while there is a clash of horsey personalities and a plywood barrier goes up for half the length of a box to give them some privacy to eat without being watched.

PorkChop

Visit site
I would personally go for an american barn with outside windows, so much easier and nicer in the winter. Lots of skylights if possible too.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I would personally go for an american barn with outside windows, so much easier and nicer in the winter. Lots of skylights if possible too.

A no brainer for me, American barn all the way. I'd rather groom and tack up in the stable but have everything under the cover of a barn than tie up outside on a yard in January! lol :)

Sophire

Visit site
I would go American barn all day long! Depending on the size allowances you could put in 1/2 bays for crossties to groom/ tack up. Make one a wash bay? If space doesn't allow it you can always crosstie in the aisle!

Ladyinred

Visit site
A no brainer for me, American barn all the way. I'd rather groom and tack up in the stable but have everything under the cover of a barn than tie up outside on a yard in January! lol :)

We are extra lucky because currently we are the only liveries and even have our hay and straw in the barn, we only had to leave the relative warmth to empty barrows.. It made life so much easier this winter, although I appreciate we might lose that privilege if more people come along.

DD265

Visit site
I would also do an American barn with external windows - you could even do external and internal doors. Best of both worlds.

AFB

Visit site
Another vote for american barn, it's so nice having an inside space to work during winter without being restricted to a stable