Stables in the garden at home

RULEMI

Visit site
Dear all

I am lucky to live on the edge of my in laws farm. We have grazzing all around our house. My dream would be to have some stables built just beside our garage. Just looking at planning types of stables etc. Has anyone built stables at home. What are the pros and cons of keeping at home. My only concern is where I would put a muck heap. Apart from that don't think I would get much done at home with my horse on my door step I would be out there all the time.

Thanks

M

mulledwhine

Visit site
Our pony is literally 6 ft from the bedroom window, the down side is that you are aware of every little bang and bump in the stable at night!!!!

It is lovely though to be able to give him a cuddle every time I walk out if the door.

The muck heap is a bit of an issue, but OH takes it and ploughs it back into the fields.

Just means I have a heap near the house ( not so near that you can smell it) for about a week

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
In the curtilage (formal boundaries of house and garden) of a dwelling, you may not need PP, depending on size/whether listed, in conservation or national park etc. But the tricky bit is avoiding 'nuisance' to neighbours if in a built up area: but sounds like yours isnt built up.

We have all the muck into a tipping trailer in the week and then OH tows it away to the muck heap every weekend, so it never smells much :))

TJ&Ozzie

Visit site
I have mine at home now and it is wonderful! After years of bi***y livery yards and huge petrol bills getting there twice a day its bliss to go out and feed in your PJ's of a morning!

We are in the process of building stables and providing you don't go over your permitted developments area wise you are fine. Horses are classed as pets with the planners. Most stable companies build specs are within the height restrictions too which is good. We are now trying to decide whether we build them ourselves or get them done by a company.

I fully recomend having them at home if you can....its good for the soul!! :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Nothing is better go for it.
If you have access to a tractor which it sounds you would could buy a muck trailer there are nice ones around look in the back of horse and hound as their Lots of ads there .
When you build the stables budget for plenty of hard standing and you always need more storage than you think. If space have a tack area in the house it's much safer.
Was still one of the best days of my life when I brought my horses to our new home.

Brigadoon

Visit site
Get the planners out for advice as I have fallen foul of planners before and its a pain to sort out. They will visit your site for free. Once you have a rapport with them they are invaluable for any advice.
I have a muck trailer so no muck pile or smell and the big pile is a great distance away or the neighbouring farmer takes it.
We built our own. The money we saved in doing so is going to my new arena this year!!
Its the best thing ever having them at home. Footering about in your jim-jams is just the best.