Stabling during the winter thoughts?

zbella

Visit site
Hi, this is going to be quite long!
At the moment I have my pony in a rental yard with a girl I know so it’s just the two of us and we do everything ourselves. There is a field so we put our horses out to it, the one problem with this yard is the arena, it’s absolutely horrible and unridable especially if it’s been raining. The membrane of the arena has started to come up and it’s all over the arena and on the main track as well and it’s causes our horses to trip which is dangerous as they’re getting their hooves caught in it, there is also flooding in various areas of the arena and big potholes everywhere. This is all in summer and winter as well. The biggest problem I have is that there is no lighting in the arena so in winter I can’t ride at all. An option we have is to move to a livery yard from the end of September to end of February. The livery yard has 2 good arenas 1 indoor and 1 outdoor with lights, my only problem with this yard is that the horses are stabled 24/7 as there is no field. I had my previous horse at this yard and she became depressed and used to throw me all the time but I think that was my fault as I didn’t ride her much because I was so nervous and scared of her. Before we bought her as well she was used to being out in the field 24/7. I’m just scared that if I move my pony to this livery yard he’ll become like my old horse although I’m more confident on this pony and ride him far more and harder than my other horse but I’m just wondering what anyone thinks I should do? Should I stay at my currant yard or move just for the winter? And what does everyone else do for stabling one the winter? If you made it this far thank you for reading ?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Are there any other livery options in your area. It's common for those without an indoor school to go on livery for just the winter.

Keeping a horse stabled here 24/7 Nov - May is fairly normal here. I HATE it. But more yards are starting to offer winter paddocks.

Is there any way to repair your existing school? Is the owner of the land open to working something out?

Starzaan

Visit site
I would rather not have horses than keep them stabled 24/7 all winter. The only way I think this can possibly work (obviously apart from box rest when necessary) is if the horse is worked hard twice a day, and hand walked multiple times a day which isn’t practical for most owners.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wouldn't move to a place without turnout it's not fair for horses to be stabled 24-7 I actually consider it as a welfare issue, could you not maybe get the arena maintained might even be worth contributing as the set up you both have now sounds ideal, it might not even need too much work it's well worth speaking to the owner about it.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't stable 24/7 unless you can commit to working the horse for at least 4-6 hrs a day. Properly working, getting them to use their brain, not just going round on a horse walker.
Horses need a lot of movement to stay healthy, physically and mentally. If they spend 22+hrs a day in a box you'll probably see them develop quite a few stable vices and potentially some physical issues.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i kept my first horse in a yard where there was no turnout so he was stabled 24/7. i rode him 6 days of the week and he had monday off. on mondays i led him to an area of grass which was quite close and he had some time grazing...it wasnt ideal but quit a few yards didnt have turnout at that time so i knew no better, this was in the 60's... he never had joint problems or stable vices but i did move him after about 10 years to somewhere my friend rented and we had very rich grazing so he was still stabled some of the time but it was much better than being at the other yard...i now wouldnt consider a yard if there was no turnout and would not be happy if it was very limited in the winter...

[131452]

Visit site
it is very wet here so winter turn out is limited or doesn't exist around here. I dont like it but most horses seem to cope OK. Some yards have turn out pens so the horses can go and roll and stretch their legs whilst being mucked out. It's not ideal but it is what it is

doodle

Visit site
I also wouldn’t have a horse in 24/7 all winter. I do leave in the odd day in really bad weather but was panicking when it turned into 2 days in a row. I would much rather have turn out and no school than a school and no turnout. That said I would be looking for a 3rd option.

Visit site
Please dont even give any thought to stabling your horse for such a long time, it is a welfare issue. Imagine being trapped in a room yourself for 23 hours a day with your meals brought to you, its a prison sentence.

Stay at the current yard and speak to your land owner about the arena or look for a different yard where you can have facilities and regular turn out.

MiniMilton

Visit site
Stabled permanently is just like living in a prison. I really wouldn't blame any horse developing behavioural problems in that sort of environment. There must be other options in your area. If not would keep him where he is and see will the landowner let you and your friend buy more surface for the arena (assuming the landowner cant pay for it themselves)

jnb

Visit site
I chose a field, stables and shelter (have only stabled for 4 nights in 3 years when horse had an abscess in the wettest part of winter) over a yard with access to a school - yes it means i don't ride in the week unless I can trek in the dark for a lesson or have a morning / afternoon off to ride, but my cob is out 24/7...he's a BIG horse and having had one that developed joint issues and ultimately injured himself after being turned out having been stuck in for days on end (yard rules) I'd rather have no school and turnout than all the schools in the UK and no or little turnout.
He's a horse not an ornament to be packed away and pulled out when I want to ride!
Sorry....that turned into a rant :(

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
What I can't understand is it is actually easier to keep horses outside. For me, anyway. Less mucking and using bedding.

Horses only live in a box for human convenience, and occasionally their health when it comes to a serious rehab or recovery situation.

Idk who said let's take this large grazing naturally roaming animal and stick it in a box to essentially stand in its own excrement. I have been trying for years to understand why it is ok to keep a horse in a box.

So I'd really, really, be pushing to fix that outdoor school.

chocolategirl

Visit site
Hi, this is going to be quite long!
At the moment I have my pony in a rental yard with a girl I know so it’s just the two of us and we do everything ourselves. There is a field so we put our horses out to it, the one problem with this yard is the arena, it’s absolutely horrible and unridable especially if it’s been raining. The membrane of the arena has started to come up and it’s all over the arena and on the main track as well and it’s causes our horses to trip which is dangerous as they’re getting their hooves caught in it, there is also flooding in various areas of the arena and big potholes everywhere. This is all in summer and winter as well. The biggest problem I have is that there is no lighting in the arena so in winter I can’t ride at all. An option we have is to move to a livery yard from the end of September to end of February. The livery yard has 2 good arenas 1 indoor and 1 outdoor with lights, my only problem with this yard is that the horses are stabled 24/7 as there is no field. I had my previous horse at this yard and she became depressed and used to throw me all the time but I think that was my fault as I didn’t ride her much because I was so nervous and scared of her. Before we bought her as well she was used to being out in the field 24/7. I’m just scared that if I move my pony to this livery yard he’ll become like my old horse although I’m more confident on this pony and ride him far more and harder than my other horse but I’m just wondering what anyone thinks I should do? Should I stay at my currant yard or move just for the winter? And what does everyone else do for stabling one the winter? If you made it this far thank you for reading ?
It both depresses and shocks me that this type of regime seems acceptable to anyone tbh? it’s no surprise that there are so many ‘badly behaved’ horses up and down the land?‍♀️ OP, I don't think EITHER is an option sorry, there has to be another surely?

MissTyc

Visit site
Can you use the rest of the summer to try to salvage the arena? Speak with the landowner to see if s/he wants to invest or, at least, is OK with you faffing around in there. The flooding suggests a drains issue, but it might nonetheless be possible to at least remove the tripping hazards by straightening out/patching up the membrane under the surface; maybe getting in some more top-surface ... So many options nowadays.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Here we go again.....Keeping horses stabled is perfectly OK if, and only if, you exercise and work them sufficiently. If you are not able to do that then you really should not have the horse. Most horses do not get enough work, and also get fed too much which is a dreadful combination, but if properly cared for they will do fine stabled. As examples: the Household Cavalry, police horses, most horses in Spain, Germany, lots of other countries, etc.

Leaving horses out in sodden mud pits all winter is not exactly kind either, and whilst most people do look after their horses well, many do not and there are advantages and disadvantages to both methods, with a combination of the two (turnout and stabling) over winter being my preferred option.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It both depresses and shocks me that this type of regime seems acceptable to anyone tbh? it’s no surprise that there are so many ‘badly behaved’ horses up and down the land?‍♀️ OP, I don't think EITHER is an option sorry, there has to be another surely?

I know both of my horses would be absolute idiots to ride without any turnout and they are fairly easy as long as they get out, so totally agree no turnout can cause the most well behaved horse into a nightmare.

Lacuna

Visit site
I would never stable anywhere where the ponies couldn't spend at least the daylight hours outside in winter.

Last winter we did have to spend the odd day or two indoors because of the weather, more than that and they start to get stressy.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I am definitely not staying go stuck your horse in a mud pit as opposed to a dry stable, and I understand that building all weather paddocks is beyond the means (mentally and/or financially) of most people.

A combo of stabled and turned out in the winter is what I've mostly done, and I think is OK. BUT I exercise my horse daily. Every evening. And he is in the walker in the mornings in winter. The average amateur owner does not provide enough exercise, IMO.

Yes it is sort of the "norm" here to stable 24/7 in the winter, but it seems to be getting better. More paddocks offered and whatnot.

The OP should look at any and all options, then make an informed decision.