Stage 1 Care - Responsibilities of working on a yard

equestrian7474

Visit site
Hi! I could honestly just use a bit of explaining on this segment of the exam. I’m definitely a younger candidate for the assessment so I’m clueless as to what half of these mean, or how they’re involved in a yard setting at Stage 1 level. I’m familiar with the obvious ones such as health & safety and animal welfare concerns. What kind of questions will get asked? Do I need to explain them?

(From the syllabus) The responsibilities of working on a yard may include:
- Reporting
- Safeguarding
- Health and Safety
- Equality and diversity
- Data protection
- Animal welfare concerns
- Employee role and responsibilities

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
At stage 1 level you will always have someone more experienced on a yard. Knowing when to report/refer things onto this person is what they will be looking for.

Starzaan

Visit site
- Reporting
- Safeguarding
- Health and Safety
- Equality and diversity
- Data protection
reporting - knowing who to report anything to, what needs reporting and why

E&D is employment and treatment, ensuring equality for all and diversity in the workforce.

data protection - GDPR, safe holding of employee and client info, passports etc

employee role and responsibilities - clear job descriptions, what does each employee do and do they know what their role is?
Happy to go into more depth if you need.

SEL

Visit site
Hi! I could honestly just use a bit of explaining on this segment of the exam. I’m definitely a younger candidate for the assessment so I’m clueless as to what half of these mean, or how they’re involved in a yard setting at Stage 1 level. I’m familiar with the obvious ones such as health & safety and animal welfare concerns. What kind of questions will get asked? Do I need to explain them?

- Reporting
- Safeguarding
- Health and Safety
- Equality and diversity
- Data protection

Reporting - who is the responsible person on the yard that you escalate any issues to. The yard should let you know this
- Safeguarding - primarily children. Making sure staff have DBS checks for instance. On a yard you should probably discuss whether staff and children should be swapping phone numbers, social media accounts.
- Health and Safety - hats, gloves, decent boots, safety around horses, machinery etc. if there are children on the yard then what extra is needed to keep them safe
- Equality and diversity - no discrimination against anyone for their race, sexual orientation, sex, age or medical issues / disabilities
- Data protection - don't go giving out phone numbers or addresses. People's confidential information should stay confidential (such as someone sharing a medical condition)
- Animal welfare concerns - can you spot an issue, what is the reporting process
- Employee role and responsibilities - in an ideal world everyone would have a job description stating their responsibilities.

These are pretty standard for most apprenticeships and worth having a google to see what they are on a more general basis and then try applying them to a yard setting. Safeguarding is a hot topic if you're working around children.

equestrian7474

Visit site
Thank you all so much!! Just a couple more questions-

- if you’ve taken the assessment what kind of questions were asked on it? were you asked to explain one of the pointers, list some of them?
- for the employee r&r, are these for instructors, yard managers, etc?

little_critter

Visit site
Thank you all so much!! Just a couple more questions-

- if you’ve taken the assessment what kind of questions were asked on it? were you asked to explain one of the pointers, list some of them?
- for the employee r&r, are these for instructors, yard managers, etc?
Not sure about any of the others, but as SEL says, every employee (regardless of job or industry sector) should have a job description which details what their roles and responsibilities are.
Eg if you are the tea girl (I'm being flippant here) your job description would list your role & responsibilities as including making tea at set points through the day, ensuring all cups are collected after the round, washing up the cups and tea pot.
If you are the Headteacher of a school your R&R would include things along the lines of driving for good exam results, ensuring the school is well run financially, oversight of the welfare of your teaching staff.

So EVERY employee should have a job description and know their roles & responsibilities.
If you want to get a feel for what these look like maybe have a look at some online job agencies, many of the adverts will include a job description listing the roles & responsibilities for that post.

Reactions: SEL

equestrian7474

Visit site
I think Ive gotten a grasp for what the R&R are but for the actual BHS assessment, are these referring to employees on the yard such as yard managers, riding instructors, grooms, etc?

equestrian7474

Visit site
Also for anyone in Ireland - is garda vetting something I should mention in safeguarding? Had a google of what DBS checks are and I think garda vetting would be our equivalent - I’m new to a lot this type of stuff and this is probably one of the parts of the syllabus I am finding the most difficult!

little_critter

Visit site
I think Ive gotten a grasp for what the R&R are but for the actual BHS assessment, are these referring to employees on the yard such as yard managers, riding instructors, grooms, etc?
Ahh - sorry, misunderstood your question. I have no knowledge of BHS exams, but I would have guessed so. ie the R&R of the types of employed staff you'd typically find on a yard.

SEL

Visit site
Yup - that's right. Anyone who works on the yard.

If you Google safeguarding children in your part of Ireland then you'll get an idea of what's required in your area - you can then apply those requirements to a yard situation

teapot

Visit site

- Reporting
- Safeguarding
- Health and Safety
- Equality and diversity
- Data protection

@equestrian7474 get some training - these questions could catch someone out if not answered correctly (and there's some misinformation in this thread too).

As a Stage 1 candidate, it's aimed at someone who's a junior groom with little responsiblity, but you must be aware of the following:

Reporting - who would you report to, what would you report (anything basically)
Safeguarding - when and why you would report to the named 'safeguarding officer' on your yard. Basically if you saw anything that you felt was uncomfortable/suscipious
Health and Safety - following yard rules, making sure as a baby groom you don't decide to bring in six when you're only meant to bring in two, catching in with a fellow groom, not being left alone on the yard
E&D - your reponsbility to work well with others, regardless of background, race, sexuality etc, knowing when to report up
Data protection - not adding clients on facebook, not sharing client information
Animal welfare - knowing what is up to you (checking horse has four legs) but passing on concern if horse has a cut/not usual self etc
Employee role & responsiblities - what is YOUR role as a baby groom and the responsibilites that come with it (they're not going to ask you to list what a yard manager does!)

Types of questions asked? 'So tell me x, what would be your responsiblites as a groom be?' You'd say carrying out all tasks safely, efficiently, within guidance of yard manager/yard supervisor, caring for horses, reporting any concerns immediately upwards etc