Staghounds vs foxhounds what is the difference?

KatieM84

Visit site
Hi all, I was just wondering if the staghound hunt use a different breed of hound? I know that sounds like a silly question but I've been looking at the staghounds websites and they look like foxhounds. Also what happens to the venison from the stag/deer that is hunted? Is it shared amongst the followers? Just curious.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Stag hunting using hounds has been illegal in the UK for well over a decade.

SOS

Visit site
As a very new user you seem to have quickly found the hunting topics and seem to be bringing some older threads back up.

If genuinely interested, there is lots of information online especially on huntingact.org on older forms of hunting, such as stag hunting. It’s still very active in France, I believe, so there may also be more recent information on stag hunting there.

KatieM84

Visit site
I
As a very new user you seem to have quickly found the hunting topics and seem to be bringing some older threads back up.

If genuinely interested, there is lots of information online especially on huntingact.org on older forms of hunting, such as stag hunting. It’s still very active in France, I believe, so there may also be more recent information on stag hunting there.
Thank you I will have a look. I am just genuinely interested, as I was looking at the Devon pack for a visit and just made me wonder the differences.

Arzada

Visit site
Hi all, I was just wondering if the staghound hunt use a different breed of hound? I know that sounds like a silly question but I've been looking at the staghounds websites and they look like foxhounds. Also what happens to the venison from the stag/deer that is hunted? Is it shared amongst the followers? Just curious.
Don't know about the venison but
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
has information about 'trophies'. They are Devon and Somerset.

KatieM84

Visit site
So from what I have found out the staghounds are general larger foxhounds and the venison goes to the farmers and followers. Very interesting. I'm looking forward to following the Devon and Somerset pack over the winter as a visitor.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
OK, I'll rise. Stag hunting with hounds is a disgusting sport. To chase a deer for any distance before killing it, never mind far enough to make it worth following on horseback, is completely indefensible.

Don't anyone tell me it's necessary because I have a herd of red deer cross my field regularly and if ever any of them need to be killed they are stalked and shot by one man with a gun.

[139672]

Visit site
OK, I'll rise. Stag hunting with hounds is a disgusting sport. To chase a deer for any distance before killing it, never mind far enough to make it worth following on horseback, is completely indefensible.

Don't anyone tell me it's necessary because I have a herd of red deer cross my field regularly and if ever any of them need to be killed they are stalked and shot by one man with a gun.

Totally agree.

Clodagh

Visit site
I don’t think it is illegal in England, but you can only use two hounds at a time now I think, so instead of laying on the pack once they have selected a stag they stick with the tufters. I have been twice, both before the ban so am far from up to date.
Agree with AA about using a hireling, mine was an amazing horse.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Yes Clodagh, I think you are correct, that Stag Hunting still takes place "within the law" as they say. The deer are held at bay, not brought down by hounds.