Stale horse - Any advice.

Jemayni

Visit site
My horse has been in light work due to soundness probs for about 3 months and he is ssssoooo bored.

He is currently doing 20 mins a day, mainly walk and a little trot, he can't do much roadwork or school manouveres. His work has lost all its sparkle, does anyone have any tips on how to get him to enjoy something which is essentially so tedious?

Agent XXX999

Visit site

What is your hacking like? Could you not trailer him to somewhere grassy…that or ask your YO if you could ride him round the edge of one of the fields. Do you ride with other people in the school? Even little things, like not sticking on the outside track or lots of reign changes will get his brain going (and yours)

I don’t envy you at all, you must be so bored (both of you)

Judie

Visit site
Try loads of transitions, halt, walk, halt, trot (few strides), halt. I'd use the time to do loads of supplying work with him like shoulder fore, that's not too demanding, a little bit of traver etc. You could also do some work in hand with him with long lines, put some poles out and practise steering around them, moving his shoulders, ooh there's loads of stuff!